Possible to dream in a dream?

Hi,

Imagine you are dreaming (unaware), and it is time for bed, so you get into bed and close your eyes. Would you be able to dream, in that dream? Or would the dream just change, from that point.

I know that I have ‘imagined’ things in my dream. Once I had a dream that I was in bed with one of my ex-gf (in her room), she had a little sister who in the dream was outside the door and I was scared she would walk in and see me ontop of her sister. I ‘IMAGINED’ (not saw) the situation of her walking into the room, but I went back into reality (what I thought it was), and continued on with, well , sex :razz: without the little girl walking in.

But do you see what I mean? If its possible to imagine something, in your head, during a dream, then why couldnt it be possible to dream of something? Dreams are made up of our imagination after all ?

Or could it be that its not possible to actually fall asleep in a dream.

Anyone have any ideas? Or its all rubbish? :razz:

-stranger

Generally if you read a book or imagine a situation in a dream you will see yourself in the situation.

Plenty of people have dreamt of doing WILD in their dreams. Generally it is almost instantly successful (for reasons I explained in the ‘dream time’ thread)

1. Of course you can fall asleep in a dream. The main rule is: everything is possible in a dream :smile:
  2. I think that your falling asleep just is not real, like rest of the dream, so you can’t treat it like “lower level”. It’s just a question of vividness of the dream, but it’s still the same dream.

Yea its definitly possible. I had a breif LD under my journal about a dream where I was knocked unconcious and I woke up in another dream. Some stuff happened and I ended up returning to the exact spot I was knocked unconcious as if I was waking from a dream in a dream. It was definitly a unique experience.

Thx for the info guys! that helped

Trancewave: thats a pretty amazing experience! :smile:

-stranger

I had something like that off the back of an FA, I woke up in the dream, not questioning some out of place things and went ‘back to sleep’. I had another dream inside that dream but I don’t remember much except I ‘woke up’ back into the original dream, noticed the out of place objects, RC’d and became lucid. So yeah, I’d say dreaming within a dream is entirely possible.

I don’t think dreaming within a dream is possible. That’s like waking up while you’re awake; it doesn’t make sense. Sure, you can be in a dream and supposdely go to sleep in it and and enter another dream, but it’s still the same dream.

tride15 - yes, dreams in dreams are possible, I actually had two LDs in row in the same dream. But they are “inner dreams” only for you. Objectively they’re “false dreams”, like we have false awakening. However, when you’re dreaming, they look like real dreams to you, because you convinced that you’re awake at the moment.
In other words - it’s like FA: it’s true if you say in a dream “I am dreaming”, but not if you say “I WAS dreaming”, because you’re still in the dream.

hope this makes sense :smile:

But…
“All we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream” - E. A. Poe :tongue:

I guess I don’t understand because it sounds like you’re pretty much in agreement with what I said.

if this can help I had my first semi ld last saturday, just as a dream within another dream. As I woke up in my bed I realized I had a false awakening in my dream. It lasted very little, and I complained because I could go on if I found out it was a dream itself. It was great, I could feel myself in bed, breathing. Then this second dream faded away and I FA in the first dream.
Asking in the chat some peolpe told me that there cannot be dreams within dreams, in fact when I realized I was dreaming I could feel myself breathing in my bed (even because my RC involved closing the nose and trying to breath)… I think it’s just a trick of my mind, to make me fall unconscious again…

It is called a meta dream. Do a search on the forum and you will find stuff like people who have lucid meta dreams.

For example let’s say that you dream that you are walking over a street. And for some reason you lie down in the middle of the road and fall asleep and you have a meta dream where you are walking in a green field with grass. And in the meta dream you become aware that you are dreaming (the meta dream), so you think that you are lying in the middle of the road and that you must wake up or you’ll be driven over by cars.

I had this dream i long time ago, it was re-occuring 2-3 times. I don’t remember exactly how lucid i was in the meta-dreams or if i was lucid at all. Just knew i would have to wake up or i would be run over :smile:

yes i belive its possible cause it happen to me… actually a had a dream in side a dream and that second dream was an LD… weird… so basically I had ld in a dream inside a dream…
Did u ever had Nightmares inside a “double” dream? its preety weird if u wake up twice… at the first time u wake up u think u are awake and everything’s normal… but its not… then when everything starts to get strange like a dream u get certainty that u are in a dream so u have LD… i usually wake up after that… it’s a nice way to have LD’s…

A meta dream? Apart from you, Cookie Monster, “meta dreams” have only been mentioned by that name in one other thread (use search). Use that name at your own risk :wink:

I recently had an experience with a “dream within a dream”… I know that term has been debated. Thought I might add to this thread by saying you can visit my dream journal, and the experience is the last post in there. Maybe you would find it interesting… sweet dreams

Well now there is an acronym for these kind of experiences: MD = Meta Dreams
And if you have a lucid meta dream: LMD :wink:
Thanks for the name Cookie Monster :happy:

I also remember we called them meta-dreams some time ago :smile:
And I´ve had quite a lot of them. Stupid thing is, I am usually lucid in my MDs, but every of my LMD has been a FLD so far, since I accepted the ND as WL (Wow, 5 acronyms in one sentence :tongue:).
At first meta-dreams seem to be almost the same as false awakenings, but somehow I feel like there is really a big difference. Don´t ask why, there just is…

tapir

“That’s like waking up while you’re awake; it doesn’t make sense.”

Our robot lives aren’t exactly awake while being awake. The factory doesn’t put those little plastic knobs on by itself, well most don’t, stupid robots with their fancy names and lack of manners.

Going to sleep in a LD is a great way to wake up in RL. So don’t go ruining a LD by trying to sleep in your LD. Instead make a dream TV and watch your LD dream on the TV. Then change the channel to your girlfriends dream. Don’t be surprised if she’s dreaming about robots.

Okay, now I know what p8e is. It’s actually just a program that generates humorous and confusing replies to posts, set up by the US government to monitor the activities here as research for new psychological warfare techniques. The algorhythms were first developed by Al Gore, right after he invented the internet. (The original idea goes all the way back to the Greek philosopher Esophagus, while choking on a piece of cheese)
This actually is a simple program to thwart. In all posts from now on, include the phrase “Shoes for Industry!”. This causes a diagnostic loop which goes on until the electrician arrives.

Off topic? Nah.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misquote

Al Gore never said “I invented the internet”.

Malfunction, kill, kill.