Different styles of flying

I like the Swan Dive approach myself. Maybe that’s what you meant by Spread Your Arms… Anyway, I feel extremely acrobatic flying in this manner, being able to twist and flip and roll with ease and precision. Very Crouching Tiger-ish… Though, I usually keep my hands closer to my hips rather than fully spread out…

I use a variation of the superman style. Essesntially I imagine a force pushing out my feet (think, feet installed jetpack), to control steering I “will” myself to where I want to go. For me I have excellent control over spped and the ability to turn quickly and precisly.

I tried to fall upward. Well. it happened on it’s own at first, then i tried to make it happen. I fell in different directions, sort of back and forth at first, then to the side. I wanted to go up. I couldn’t control it, only make some change happen. I was caught by the wind once. No control there at all.
I havn’t tried much else than the flying by willpower. But I can’t control direction well at all, I can usually go up, stopping is a little harder. In my defence I don’t practice flying much even though I want to because it has made me wake up alot. I tried a little air swimming last time I slept to help me along. Only a little. Didn’t really provide much help. Oh yeah. just remembered. I had an object help me fly once, It was kind of effective. greater speed. Up until now I hadn’t thought that different techniques would really do any difference. But, I am willing to try.

I use the nothing method. It works great for me, but I was doing it in ND’s befor I started LD’ing so it just seems natural for me. I have full control over speed direction and no problems takeing off or landing. This might have something to do with the fact that I have had a lot more ND’s then most of you befor I started LD’ing, and was flying in them, so had a lot of dream time flying befor I had my first LD.
don

I personally think that the swimming method would be the most fun. At least for messing with dream characters.

I think anything could work, it’s simply more dependent on your expectations.

Just what I think.

Just like don, I had already mastered flying through NDs before I knew what a LD was.

Dunlar, what do you mean by Swan Dive? I need more detail. I don’t really know what a Swan Dive is.

[color=darkblue]I tend to be able to fly wherever I want, whenever I want and with relative ease. Sometimes it can take me a couple of tries to get off the ground, but once I’m in the sky, I can fly about as long as I want to.

A habit of mine in ND’s seems to be flying up into the clouds and swirling the clouds around very fast, seeing how low I can fly and how fast or snatching birds from the air![/color]

Im always flying in FLD and ND’s…and its relatively easy for me. I can get off the ground, sometimes the wind factor plays an issue, its as if Im being blown away, but nonetheless… its really fun. The best one I probably remember was when I was flying over the sea, it was so realistic…

A Swan Dive is a maneuver that swimmers sometimes do when jumping off a diving board into a pool. What I meant is the position the body takes, a chest-first arch, like in the link I gave. I also fly that way for the aesthetics… Superman style just seems dorky (no offense, LM :tongue: )…

Last time I flew, I just sat cross-legged and levitated upside down - makes for some interesting conversation with the ol’ Dream Characters…

thanks for the ideas

I’ll try these tonight. Although the previous night, in a FLD I had, I noticed something interesting; I was thinking the previous night that I could use wind to carry me up. And I have vague memory of it working. Just let the wind blow so hard it carries you up, up! :happy:

If you didn’t know I have a lot of trouble flying in LD’s, no matter how hard I try.

i usually do the “swimming” method, last time i tried the superman i went REALLY fast, and flew into space… scared the hell outa me!

Last night I did Superman style, and yelled out “Up, up, and away!” just to be silly… :smile: It worked well enough…

lmao

superman style rules.

I’ll have to try some of these out ^^

In the last few LDs where I’ve flown, I’ve had great success with doing a run-up and then jumping with both feet. Don’t know what you would categorise that as though.

About “falling that way”… Something similar worked for me. In an LD, I was in the third or fourth floor of a building when I got lucid. I let myself fall down towards the floor and “floated” down to the first floor, going forward, as well.

EDIT: Almost forgot… Not exactly FLYING, but using webs like Spiderman also worked for me once.

Superman Style…dorky…scoffs at dunlar

Honestly though, I use to the most because it makes the most visual sense, just seems odd to be rocketing through the air at 200 miles an hour in a legs crossed mediation position.

I had my first good lucid dream last night :smile:
I don’t remember very much of it, but I do remember that my flying was a little weird.

I tried superman and got this:

I haven’t taken physics yet, but I am assuming that would be how thrust works. Weird that my subconscious agrees :happy:

I didn’t get very high, I only got to the next island. It started as a big jump, and then I tried to superman, and I got thrust like a jet or rocket ship or something… I don’t remember landing or much else though, I will have to work on that!

I figured I should post it because it’s not really the same as the ones I’ve seen.

Usually I spread out my arms, which turn into wings or deformed arm/wing things if I’m not thinking about it. Maybe it’s because I used to read the Animorphs (cool book series about transforming kids). Getting altitude is always tricky, but once I got really high up by going around in circles. Too bad I couldn’t pull out of it before the dream ended…

Another possible method is to make friends with a DC who is sufficiently arrogant/experienced, let them possess you (so you take on their physical form), and let them do all the flying for you. Yea, maybe a bit too complicated, but I just throw this method out there for the sake of completeness. Bonus: what if you can get your SG to do this?

when i fly in lds i just, hmm fly, i might jump into the air, but thats it.

I ahve my arms up someitmes, but mainly to get the air away from me face hehe