Senses Initiated Lucid Dream (SSILD)

@ShaneTheShaman and @zziga, glad it worked. Please post more details when you have time as the experience will help us further improve the technique! Thank you!

Just one question, when you say to scan your body, do you mean to stay in a still position and feel the senses on your hands and toes, or do you actually wiggle your toes and move your hands?

shane - your goal is to obtain sleep paralysis. when paralyzed, moving is either difficult (shallow paralysis) or requires all your willpower just to twitch your finger (deep paralysis). during this whole time you are scanning your body …

keep it still buddy. use the jedi powers of your mind that the Great Pastamonster gave you.

what I do is imagine a single fingertip touching every piece of exposed skin (as a meditative exercise), then go through and scan all my muscles, ligaments, and tendons the same way, then my bones, then my organs, then all the stuff that’s not corporeal, then repeat the cycle. if you try to go through that whole thing while sleeping you won’t sleep, but you could take a much broader surface area and scan the skin with very little focus required (think 3 fingertips, or the palm of your hand).

fun fact: that meditative exercise, applied for 10 years straight and using increasingly smaller focus points, was how the Buddha finally attained enlightenment - it’s called vipassana meditation, and is very useful for beginning and experienced meditators alike.

but this isn’t a topic about meditation, it’s a topic about dreaming.

My progress: 1 step forward, 3 steps back. I suffered an undesirable setback in my polyphasic adaptation today (that was my own fault) that has made my naps of supremely poor quality. I intend to keep napping through the night and continuing to apply SILD to see if I can achieve another dream body experience.

Actually you can do either. Wiggling will probably create better result, but may wake you too much. You need to find what best suits you :smile:

That’s very interesting! I need to check that out! :smile:

This technique is great. The first time I used it yesterday I had two lucid dreams in one night (that’s super good for me) and a false awakening that I nearly caught. I recalled other more vivid dreams as well. I’m gonna use this again tonight. Thanks!

I finally used this properly and had success with it. After waking up a second time I was able to easily induce a WILD as HI came on during the vision part.

I will say this, it felt a lot like I had been using a relaxation technique. In the end, I think that is what SILD really does. It relaxes your body and mind making active techniques easier, and also adds to your general awareness which seems to help with passive techniques. I’m still not prepared to call this a holy grail or miracle, but I will continue to use it because it does seem to help with very little effort.

I’m sure I’ll report back later

Sounds very interesting. I’ll try it tonight and check back tomorrow. :smile:

I’ve had some pretty intense hallucinations (visual, feeling, sound) when using this technique while lying on my back. I’m uncomfortable with the idea of getting into SP as I don’t want to have demons sitting on me :smile:

So my question is: does this technique require you to lie on your back / does it loose its effectiveness if lying on your side or stomach? For some reason I only expect to get into SP while lying on my back.

Thanks.

SPs do not always occur when using SILD so don’t fear too much – it might be a different experience next time. As for your question, it doesn’t matter what position you use to sleep. Just use one that’s comfortable, but not so comfortable that you fall asleep right away without completing at least a few cycles.

Glad it worked, Rhewin. Your observation makes a lot of sense. I look forward to hear more your feedbacks.

I just tried this, three hours after having slept six hours. I laid in bed on my back (I’m curious if I should be on my back or just any position most comfortable to me) and I did what you said. My body will always immediately start to vibrate and feel heavy. I can’t progress it myself but I can feel it start to progress. I also noticed after going throu my senses rotation about 3 times that i was getting a light ringing in my ears and it started to seem like it was getting louder. I also noticed what seemed like fading in patterns that started to appear a dark bolded white. Which might just be my brain playing tricks on me. This was about 5 rotations in maybe 4. Then I coughed a whole bunch due to having the flu recently and now I’m wide awake.

but I’m curious if those are good signs that I’m on the right track. I figure the vibrations are but I’m afraid that the others are just tricks from my mind. And should I like refuse to open my eyes at all costs? Cause I keep getting strange light paralysis sensations that make me think I’m asleep and I open my eyes and I’m awake

This method sounds great, going to try it shortly. :yay:

Does it work to if you have a nap before you go to sleep cause i don 't think i can set my alarm just for a chance to have a LD cause it will make everbody angry :sad: but i might try it if i wake up in the night after 4 hours (which i most of the time do). and can i do it to if i’m not tired at night?

I personally never use an alarm since I always need to get up for the bathroom at night. So yes, you can do this any time you get up at night naturally. Not too sure about your question regarding the nap… Do you mind re-phrase your question?

I think he meant to ask if it’s possible to do the technique after a nap.

I tried this last night. Used autosuggestion and set up an alarm to wake me up after 5 hours of sleep. Obviously I was too tired and fell asleep before I could question my senses. :sad:

so before i go to sleep i get like some sleep and then i go to bed for real

I tried this for the past few nights. I did not end up having any LD’s, but that kind of makes me wonder if I was doing anything wrong. I tried it during WBTB, but I didn’t get past the first paying attention to what I was seeing part. I generally fall asleep very quickly; I can lose consciousness in a matter of minutes, or even seconds if I’m really tired. So as soon as I tried, I fell asleep straight away within the first 10 seconds.

So, the next night I tried to get myself to be more awake during the WBTB. I simply sat up and opened my eyes and looked around for about a minute. But when I tried to SILD, I got interesting results. As soon as I finished the first set, I got a roll over signal so extreme it was almost painful. I tried to ride it out but it was so powerful that I couldn’t continue to SILD and just focused on staying still. But even then, the signal kept getting stronger, and it felt like every muscle in my body was on fire and the intensity would just increase if I didn’t roll over. So, eventually I gave in.

I tried again, this time lying on my side. I got to 3 sets before the roll over signal came again. So I tried moving my legs a little when I needed to in order to satisfy the signal and then continuing the sets. That didn’t work either, because while my body stopped screaming to move, my mind was far too awake to fall asleep afterwards.

Any advice on what I should do differently?

1. Sounds to me you are falling asleep way too fast, LOL. I suggest you to either get up after six hours sleep or stay awake for at least 5-10 minutes before you start SILD.

2. The sensation you felt is the typical phenomenon experienced when your body attempts to fall asleep when it detects long period of immobility. When you stay immobile for a while, your body, assuming it is sufficiently tird, will attempt to go to sleep. In order to make sure your mind is already asleep (as a safety measure perhaps), the body sends out a very strong signal literally shouting “I’m uncomfortable!”. If you respond to it by rolling or other movement then your body will seize to go to sleep; otherwise you body falls asleep and you experience some very strange sensations as it does that. This is in fact a very effective way to WILD but it requires an iron will and takes a long time to accomplish.

When the above happens, it’s always a good indication that you are doing SILD in a wrong way. SILD does not require you to stay still. You should be as comfortable as possible! If you feel an itch, just scratch it. If you want to roll, do it! Just do a couple of extra repetitions to compensate for the interruption will be enough.

last night i went to try the WILD it didn’t worked but it got really cool cause i knew my hands were touching eachother but it felt like they were in a impossble possition but after that i was like, i’ll try SILD and look if it can work without waking up and going back to sleep. i repeated this mantra to: I will wake up after a dream. i woke up and i picked up my dream journal. i had a strange feeling about this but i was thinking about what i dreamed and i saw it in letters in front of me. Then family members sat on the wall and on my bed near me. and were asking stupid questions. This was a False awakening i think then. Does this mean the SILD worked with the mantra?

I’m very happy with this techinque so far, even though it hasn’t induced a lucid dream (though I’ve only been able to “successfully attempt” it twice due to being too tired), but I need some advice.

Both times I attempted it, I did the 4-5 repetitions, remained as calm as possible, and then after finishing the technique I tried to go to sleep. But I couldn’t. I got in my usual comfortable sleeping position. About 30 minutes went by (I didn’t bother looking). I didn’t fall asleep. I wasn’t thinking about going to sleep, which usually keeps me up. I just let my mind go, trying to go to sleep in my usual way, which takes less than 10 minutes usually.

I attempted this after sleeping for 4 hours too, not at the beginning of sleep.

Any advice?

I decided to try SILD last night. Went to bed at midnight, and as I couldn’t put an alarm, for it would wake up everybody, I kept saying to myself “I’m waking up in five hours” (not exactly these words). Didn’t take too long to fall asleep. I woke up around 3:40. I did the repetitions, and tried to fall asleep, but then I had to go to the bathroom. When I was back to bed, I did the repetitions again, fearing the first ones wouldn’t work. No LD, I suppose it took me too much time to fall asleep or I did something wrong. I don’t even remember what I dreamt about. Later I woke up around 7:20, decided to try WILD, as I usually sleep until 9:00 or 10:00 on the weekends. After forty minutes, It didn’t work either, I couldn’t concentrate, neither feel sleepy enough.

Can you tell me whether I did something wrong?