In & Out of Consciousness -- Tips?

Hey guys. I want to describe my experience last night and I’m looking for some tips. First let me say I’ve been DJ for about 1.5 months and for the most part have great recall. I’ve had 2 LD - both were pretty short but cool nonetheless. I do RC throughout the day and also practice awareness throughout the day. I’ve been sort of experimenting with different techniques to see which works for me. I do WBTB every night. I’ve been trying to focus on MILD - saying my mantra before bed. Not having too much luck with it.

Last night I did a WBTB about 5 hours into my sleep. I wrote down like 3 dreams I remembered. I decided to try some SILD. I’m confused as to what happened to me here…I did the eyes thing, funny thoughts started coming and I would pull myself back focus. Usually I fall asleep quickly but I felt like from say around 4am till 6:30am I felt like I was in and out of consciousness but no LD. Like I felt like I couldnt get to sleep and that I kept waking up, but I did remember dreams when I woke up around 6:30am so I had to be sleeping somewhat good. I’m just confused to whether I was just sleeping crappy and couldn’t get back to sleep or if SILD was helping me just be aware during that time. I’m not really sure what happened. I do know that twice i caught myself unintentionally succumbing to the itch! It got me twice and both times I realized it right after i itches my face! ‘:ack:

Anyone else have this type of experience? Hopefully, I explained this okay. Was this progress? Or was this just a crappy night sleep? Can anyone give me any insight as to what I did wrong or right or any tips? Thanks guys!

Sorry, but my answer won’t help you much :razz: Let’s hope other people post.

I’ve had… “things”… a bit like that. There are lots of crazy in between states that are hard to understand and describe. So I’m not sure exactly what that was you experienced :lol: but I’ll say that when you’re learning lucid dreaming and trying different things any NEW experience is a step forwards. Even if it happens to not be technically “progress” with a certain technique or towards getting lucid, it’s a new experience and adds to your overall experience. :happy:

SSILD isn’t supposed to be like WILD. If you have an itch, scratch it. Get as comfortable as possible. Your goal while doing it isn’t to initiate a lucid dream directly from waking state. If you do get sleep paralysis though, concentrate on it and try to enter your dream the same way you would do in a WILD. But if you get tired, say after 5-4 repetitions, roll over and start sleeping.

"Regardless the theory, it is utterly crucial to keep in mind that SEILD is not strictly a WILD technique. While many users report successful LD/OBE induction from the waking state, this method is equally effective at inducing DILDs. In fact, I strongly suggest users treat it solely as a DILD technique in order to use it in the most effective manner. " - cosmic.iron

The point of SSILD is to get you relaxed. It incubates our mind to enter a DILD or a WILD. Also, if you treat it like a DILD, you’ll have a better success rate because you will be more relaxed. If you do get a WILD out of it, then take advantage of it.

Personally, I use SSILD at early morning when I’m really stressed out and find it difficult to relax into a WILD. I haven’t gotten a LD from it, yet though.

Okay I’ll try not to think too much while doing it. I’ll keep trying. Thanks guys!

Hey mate

If I understand you correctly I have also had these ‘funny thoughts’ during/after SILD. Are they abstract thoughts that make no sense but you go with them anyway and then realise what you are doing and pull yourself back to reality? I think these are the beginnings of a dream. If you go deep enough before realising the state then all you need to do is go with it. You will probably start to pull yourself back to reality as soon as you notice this state, but if you are deep enough (which will happen after a couple of shallow states) you will not pull yourself back immediately and this will give you time to stop and say ‘hey, just go with it’. Then grab something from the dream and run around with it to create a WILD. Guess it is not a proper wild because you have dreamed for a couple of seconds without being lucid, but it is close enough in my books.