Controlling your dreams while half awake half asleep

Can you control what you see when you are half awake and half asleep without disrupting this delicate state?

Yes, I believe this is precisely what hypnagogic hallucinations are. When I used to practice WILD, I often found myself in this in-between state where I was vividly dreaming (mostly lucid) yet was still like 10% aware of the reality and bed around me.

To directly answer your question about ‘seeing’ however, I have also experienced the ability to heavily influence my sensory perceptions while in this hypnagogic phase. I used this to imagine and visualize virtually any kind of scene, but oddly enough I had a preference for words and sentences. For example I attempt to visualize text and my brain would conjure up random, non-existing words, or absurd relations between them. I love being in this phase since the results can be funny and it always amuses me. I guess it is related to my fondness of puns :wink: If I recall correctly I have even woken up from laughing a few times! I feel like it’s pretty amazing how just our internal brain processes / subconscious can be such a great source of amusement :smile: