A study confirms that galantamine stimulates lucid dreaming

Pre-sleep treatment with galantamine stimulates lucid dreaming: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30089135, and yes, the one of authors is Stephen LaBerge.

They used WBTB (4.5h + 0.5h) and MILD technique, the galantamine (or placebo) was taken during the wake phase. Galantamine group reports more lucid dreams and general more dream recall. This is the first(?) double-blind controlled study which confirms galantamine works for inducing lucid dreams, not only yet another anectodal evidence.

1 Like

thanks for sharing this! ive seen lots of good studies on galantamine but a double-blind study is great.

ive tried it a few times and the one time i managed to get back to sleep i did have lucid dreams… but i cant afford the lost sleep so i gave up on it. I have pretty high chances of having a lucid dream if I do the preparation and a solid WBTB+MILD without any drugs, but i have a 0% chance of having a lucid dream if i cant sleep :eek:

it would be interesting to see a study on the effects on a more average population of dreamers. i imagine folks who go to lucid dreaming retreats are much more likely to be skilled lucid dreamers already, and WBTB+MILD is already very effective, so just a little extra kick can get them over the edge to lucidity more easily than with any random person.