Possible Holy grail Technique part II

I am listening to this repeatedly throughout the night, but… I keep waking up just before the interview starts!

Could my subconscious want to avoid lucidity???

It’s not so much that your subconscious is avoiding lucidity - it’s just having to be reprogrammed to become lucid. This process can take a while. But for me, I simply can’t sleep with the interview going, it always wakes me up. :bored:

And it wakes me up before…

Tonight I watched Smallville, and in the episode Clark is having some dreams too… [Rosetta] Perhaps this will help me get an LD :cool:

Sage, I added 1 hr of silence before the interview starts. That way I go to sleep listening to nothing, then the interview beings while I’m asleep.

I’m going to try 15mins and 30mins of silence next.

I put the interview file on autorepeat.

I am noticing that in my dreams the exterior sound (the interview in this example) doesn’t filter down to the dream - I can’t hear the sound itself but there is somebody who’s complaining or just talking (the feeling is that of an annoying person).

External stimulus doesn’t always enter the dream directly. I mean, you won’t always hear the actual sound as it exists in real life, often it’ll get converted into something more relevant to the dream. For example, once while I was listening to the interview, I had a dream in which I was talking to Stephen LaBerge at a park near my house. He spoke of nothing that existed, word-for-word, in the interview itself, but his voice and the general conversation theme were clearly partial to the continuous sound playing from my speakers.

Occasionally however, after obtaining lucidity I can actually listen to the sound directly from its source. As an example, just recently I found myself in my apartment looking at a series of odd test tubes I had all around the place. My TV was on, and LaBerge was talking about how his dream self is merely his perceptual image (or something), and continued to explain how a dream isn’t bound to real life at all. I discovered that I was dreaming, and I noticed the sound coming from the TV was actually the recording playing from my CD player. I listened to it for a few minutes, paying careful attention to verify that it was actually piping in live.

Maybe you aren’t playing it loud enough to distinguish the actual words, and so your dreams are only incorporating the sound of conversation, and not the according topic of discussion?

I still use this technique about once a month or so. I give it about a one or two month rest period between uses. I think of it as like calling in the big guns to end any dry spells.

I don’t cycle fade the volume up and down anymore. I find instead, I can stop the wishing for silence irritation by leaving the speakers next to the computer ten feet away instead of next to my head. This way, it’s no more bothersome than as if someone had left a tv volume up.

To add some variety, I added 3 other dream expert interviews to the random que. They are not about lucid dreaming but they worked too. There are links to them near the bottom of my personal log of the experement. epicdewfall.ca/techniques.shtml

Probably that’s it… Thanks for pointing it out. I don’t use a very low volume, but it could be slightly higher. I’ll try that tonight. I use earphones.

Yesterday I slept with the interview looping (with 30 mins silence at the beginning, so I can fall asleep while the file plays). I dreamt of owning a new stereo [ connection with sound ], the police telling us not to stop at a petrol station (we wanted to get some petrol), a girl saying “we’re not like smallville”, plus I was giving some lecture at a girls’ factory… all without getting lucid.

So tonight I’ll try once more but I’ll raise the volume a bit more… see what happens.

I wasn’t sure whether I had raised it enough actually. No lucid dreams.

I also took 2 B complex pills of 41mg B6 and 50mcg B12, plus 2g Vitamin C.
Dream recall was zero… the opposite of what I expected. My dream recall was good before this night.

I woke up finding I must have unconsciously removed the earphones.
Does this happen to anyone?

Today I’ll only take 1 B complex pill.

I don’t have an MP3 player, and my computer is not in my bedroom, so I Put this on a cd to play next to my bed. I went to bed at 11:00 pm, and set my alarm for 4:30 AM for WBTB… I woke up at 4:30 to"run awayyyyy… run awayyyyy… run away and stay alive, run away, run awayyyyyy, run away if you want to survive"and I was like YES! I haven’t heard this song in FOREVER! anyway I went to the bathroom and read for a while then when I went back to bed I turned on the interview. Though I didn’t have any lucid dreams I recalled 3 very long very vivid dreams where I woke up, then realized I was dreaming about the interview. No real success though…I’m going to try it again tonight to see if I get any results… I have been in an LD dry spell for weeks and I’m beginning to forget what’s so great about LDs… know what I mean? :tongue:

This night I read this thread and all about auditory cues in the Laberge book Exploring TWOLD , and I put on my own mp3 telling me I’m dreaming, so it got incorporated as a flickering tv somehow…

This method worked once for me (sleeping with the interview playing) - it was great - however now it seems not to work and while I’m sleeping and the recording is playing, I don’t dream. As soon as I awake and remove the earphones, I start to dream and dream.

Would there be some reason why? Should I use a lower volume (which would probably be ineffective?)? Or should I use a different technique for the moment? Probably the latter…

I found another interview on dreams:

dream-analysis.com/dreams/dreams … 9102000.rm (rename the file from *.rm.ram to *.rm and you’re set)
(from: dream-analysis.com/dreams/dr … 102000.htm)

I haven’t heard it yet (might be something silly or whatever…:content: ) but I will try to loop it like the laberge interview mp3, just like epicdewfall did. I will convert it to mp3 so I can put it on my player.

I found it from this link on the same site:
dream-analysis.com/dreams/me … etails.htm

Wow it worked!!

I had my first DILD (non-induced) 3 weeks ago and since then have been attempting to induce a lucid dream with no results. I have, however, increased my dream recall from 1-3 dreams/week to 3-6 dreams/night. Last night I played this on repeat on my walkman and had my first induced LD! Thanks to whoever posted this topic!

Also, I will fiddle around with this myself but I was wondering if I should be concentrating on listening to the recording or leave it in the background and focus on WILD/MILD? Thanks again!!

-Dave

[edit]ARRRG! What am I doing wrong with the quote thing??? … nevermind… figured it out… BBCode needs to be enabled[/edit]
I haven’t tried headphones … or the method you guys are talking about yet, but I was surprised and somewhat annoyed the I had removed my NovaDreamer sometime during the night, and had absolutely no recollection of doing so.
I think this phenomenon is significant… Being able to be, during the night, conscious of what we are doing and keeping a memory of it are key needs for effective lucidity. I guess the removing of headphones or goggles is basically a RL non-lucid awakening.

Peace,
Sruthan

ugh…

i put on the laberge interview with 90 minutes of silence and then put a few instances of the interview.

Well, i had a horrible horrible nightmare! Not trying this again for a WHILE!.

-Crowe

That’s bizarre, but I wouldn’t blame the interview. If you don’t think it could help you, fair enough, but I’d recommend trying it again just to be sure.

were can i get the edited version?

You can create it yourself.

Just use your favourite mp3 to wav converter (I use winamp’s write to disk function) to convert the mp3 into a wav.

Then edit it using something like cooledit and add the appropriate amount of silence (I use 1 hour).

Then save the wav and convert it into another mp3 using an mp3 converter.

For those of you who can’t fall asleep with it on, try Pedro’s V.I.L.D. method, as in, try to read as much as you can before falling asleep. Until your eyes are hard to keep open.

I have tried combining this interviews playing method with another method and it worked the first time. I set my four interviews to random loop play all night on my computer (10 feet away). To cut down the irritation I use an Applescript loop to fade the volume of the Macintosh computer up and down in a stair step triangle wave that has a wave length of one minute. Now here is the new extra part. As I lay in bed waiting to fall asleep, I hold a flashlight in one hand. It is a flashlight that has a signal button. Every now and then if I notice the volume of the interviews from the computer change, it is a reminder to me to check the flashlight to see if it works. I have noticed the volume change from the computer so I open my eyes and I point my flashlight at the ceiling and press the signal button 3 times quickly. If the flashlight works and produces light then I know I am not dreaming yet. So I close my eyes and let my mind wander and drift until the next time I notice the volume from the computer changing, then I open my eyes and test the flashlight with 3 quick presses again. Eventually I fall asleep but I keep checking the flashlight anyway. At some point I will check the flashlight but I will really only be dreaming that I’m waiting to fall asleep and so I am really only dreaming that I’m checking a flashlight. So this time the flashlight doesn’t work and produces no light. Because I’ve been waiting for this, I now know I’m dreaming and I get out of bed and start exploring the dream looking for art. This worked perfectly two nights ago. I’m waiting a few days before I try it again because of the irritating nature of the interviews so I need the sleep. I only like to try using this method when I need to end a dry spell.
(the four interviews links are at the bottom of my log page
epicdewfall.ca/techniques.shtml )