Dream Recording Device

Let me continue on your theory kncdonald if I can :grin: Lets presume that we could connect our brains to a device which could ‘read’ through all memories and assosciations and save them into a format it could use… Then it could use them as a base to play ‘experiences’ into our minds by firing excatly the right assosciations in our brains. It would maybe the best hi-tec way of entertainment ever, but also,as you said, the scariest way of controlling the mind :bored:

Yes, lucidityx1000, that is what I was saying.

Yes but like it was defined, you could only use it to play your own dreams. I extended the definition so that it could be used to mass ‘videos’ like we do with VCRs today :grin: Maybe it’s time for someone to invent it soon…

Hi
I don´t have a link right now,but they did something a bit similiar:

They put sensors on the head of someone who was in trance,meditation or under psychedelic drugs.Then they build a helmet which can create what the sensors have received.Volunteers who tested the helmet freaked out,they reported that they had seen god,or satan,or things like that.

I hope these infos are right,if someone knows more about it he should feel free to correct me…

Traumgänger

This topic reminds me of the film ‘Minority Report’ where they have people who experience visions future events. These visions are recorded.
Anyone else seen this?
I think it would be great to be able to record and play back every dream you have. I don’t know how you could get a device to do this though.

If you could record dreams, as a matter of fact, wouldn’t it be so much cooler to play it back as it was when it happened as opposed to a television or something, anyway? :content:

Dreams are perfectly smooth video. I once had a lucid dream about an object rotating (yeah, exciting dream… but just listen)… it was so smooth it amazed me since I previously thought that images were stitched together to form a story. Also, I discovered I dream in color when I had a non lucid dream of going into an old attic and finding a bunch of different colored lamps…

I posted this about a month ago, but it belongs under this topic…

Another idea I had is to place 16 electrodes or so in a circle around your eye, then periodically check the potential difference between every combination of electrodes. This wouldn’t work with REM sleep (or at least it’d be more difficult), but if there’s some form of electric feedback into the eyes during dreams, you might be able to reconstitute a black and white image from the data… I was thinking 16 layers would be produced, by drawing shaded triangles between a starting point for each layer, and every other point on the electrode rim. The layers would then be blended together to form a final, composite image. I don’t know if the potential levels would actually correspond to the dream shapes one is seeing, but it might be fun to try. If they do, reconstitution should be possible (though the blurriness of the result would depend on the number of electrodes used).

Dunlar, I also thought of your idea when I first read this topic title, but I am pretty sure that there is no electrical feedback from your eyes. However, if there is, it seems an extremely viable solution.

Dunlar, I don’t think it will work.

The images are produced in your brain, not with your eyes. Your eyes also don’t follow the contours of an image they just take ‘pictures’ of your focus. So reconstructing an image will not be possible, you just have some data about your eye movements.

Could be still interesting data… :gni:

I don’t know if eye-movements in non-lucid dreams are the same as the eye-movements you would make when you would see the same IRL. I don’t think so, but maybe somebody else has more knowledge about this. This would be hard to research…

wouldnt this be similar to minority report? and that was made for 2054, man i hope that by then we can read our minds.

The eye movements in lucid dreams are the same as those in real life.Of course, if you see the same object in a lucid dream as opposed to real life, you may have a different perspective. As you probably know, LaBerge used eye movements to do tests in lucid dreams. The way your eyes move in your lucid dream causes your eyes to move IRL.

I know that. :smile:
My question was about the the non-lucid dreams…

I don’t think it’ll work either, but if we think of a hundred different ideas, each of which probably won’t work, there’s a good chance that one of them will… I wasn’t thinking of tracing contours of objects using eye movements, so that might be another idea… My idea would need there to be an image painted on the retina, which would then be sampled in arbitrary scanlines across the eye. For it to work in a dream, there would have to be some sort of feedback into the eyes (which may not happen, but I wouldn’t be sure until I tried… Our bodies do strange things… Why do eyes twitch in REM anyway? Feedback? You never know…).

So what are your ideas?

Please be careful what you wish for…

Yes, eye movements are related in normal dreams also. eg, in EWLD LaBerge recounts a story where they tracked someone’s eyes moving left-right about 20 times and when they woke up they reported watching a tennis game (non lucid) :happy: However, using this movement to re-draw the dreamscape would be useless, I think. For example, what do you look at if a friend comes up to you? You look at their face and specifically their eyes. So, if you redrew it you would get two points (eyes) and perhaps some other features on their face. You don’t look at the contours of objects, but at focal points, things that are important. And even then, those movements are similar. If you turn around and someone is going to stab you, if you watch the hand your eyes will move in the same pattern as if you turned around to watch a wave crash on you. I don’t think we are on the right track here…

Thanks! that was what I was looking for!
(I do even own that book… shame on me! :blush: )

Just one case does not prove anything, but I think it’s a big clue!

:smile:

That is a good question! :smile:

I think our eyes are not subject to SP during REM. So they move as a reaction to what you see. No input from the eyes since all images are generated in our visual cortex, but still some output to the eyes as a reaction on those images. (Hey - there’s something on my right… eyes move to the right)
This also fits in the tennis game from EWLD kmcdonald quoted.

But I’m only guessing here.

After some searching I found the following article. Dr. Roffwarg showed that eye movements in REM sleep correlated precisely with the visual imagery of dreams.

Roffwarg, H., Dement, W., Muzio, J. & Fisher, C. Dream imagery: Relationship to rapid eye
movements in sleep. Archives of General Psychiatry, 1962, 235-257.

Wow that is a really old study (1962), if anyone has a link to a copy of it online, could they copy and post it, please? And the reason our eyes aren’t in SP during dreams is because they are part of our brain (yes, really, you can walk up to someone who has their eyes open and truthfully scream “Oh my God I can see your brain!”).

I did some extensive internet search, but I could only find references to that study. :sad: Maybe I can find a paper copy in the university’s library…

LOL lol: :rofl: ;-D