Pictures Technique

Does anyone remember a technique that sounds something like this…?

You relax yourself as you are about to fall asleep, you pick an object, it can be real or fake, and you try to imagine it so clearly that you see it behind your eyes. You focus on details of the object, turning it to see other dimensions as if it is suspended in the air. Doing this for long periods of time can strengthen the parts of your brain that remember details in dreams.

I dont know where I saw this. I just know I find it near impossible to do for long periods of time, but even doing it for a short while helped.

That’s visual WILD, I think by atheist…

You can find it in the big WILD thread…

Yes Atheist uses it!
For centuries monks use such in the far east…they evolved it by combining it with breathing and focus points at the body, called chakra’s.
Also used for lucid dreams by them in the practising of dream yoga.

Jeff

Yes I have heard of it. Actually I use this all the time. It works really good for me.
I try to focus on seeing the stars. When I get to the right stage I can see them like they were right infront of my face. I can actually turn my vision and see to the sides and such. Some times I use other objects like books or such and rotate them to see them ffrom different angles.

Do you think it matters what kind of object it is? Does it have to be simple?

Do you think, that one need to use the same object night after night, or is it the exercise in itself, that is important?

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas it must be something you can easely or at least reasonable visualize…if u succeed yes why shouldnt u use the same object.
Its a matter of how well u can visualize and experience this visualization.
So its about the quality of how real u can make it for yourself…truly a matter of real good visualization and be able to experiencing such.

Jeff

Thomas, I agree with Jeff… it doesn’t have to be that specific image. However, I’ll give you some simple ideas that I myself use: an eye, a pyramid, a cube, an orange, a banana (yeah lol), or a moon. That’s few of examples that I use when I WILD with. It really depends on what you can visualize the most that night. That’s what really counts. :smile:

" a banana (yeah lol)"

LOL?heh Dms getting kinky thoughts:)

Ive been struggling with visualizing for ages now.I seem to be somehow disabled towards this cuz i read all your descriptions like a fantasy book.All i usually get to see are some puddles of darkness:)
Guess practice makes perfect but ive never done more boring excercise:)

This is a great technique, and perhaps the most reliable method I’ve ever used for succeeding in WILD.

The idea is simply that you maintain an image in your mind to take your focus away from the real world. The object or scene can be absolutely anything, as long as you can picture it in your mind. You can start with something simple if you like, and add detail over time. For example, last time I tried this method I imagined a hard-back book, floating in darkness and lacking any specific detail. As I concentrated on building the image, I started adding various features, all the while maintaining what was already there.

I added a gold border and stylistic title to the front cover, and I began to rotate the book in all directions. I then pictured the book opening to a random page somewhere in the middle, and I filled the visible pages with small, unreadable text. Eventually I added a nearby fireplace, and did my best to imagine the orange glow on the corners of the gold binding. This continued until I had an entire scene, clear and vivid, before my closed eyes.

Without even realizing it, I’d been concentrating on this image for a number of minutes, and my mind was starting to move to the next stage. I incorporated the sound of a burning fire, and I imaged what it might feel like to run my fingers down the engraved writing on the cover. To put it simply, I was trying to replace all of my senses with stimulus originating exclusively from my imagination.

Then, the hypnagogic imagery starts to occur. This is apparent from 2 primary indications. Firstly the image becomes significantly clearer, due to the heightened power of imagination that comes with dropping some links to the real world. And secondly, I was noticing my mind starting to wander. Spontaneous images would emerge and distract from my concentration. It’s a struggle to suppress these random thoughts as they occur, but it’s also welcoming to see the onset of sleep.

From here, it shouldn’t be long until your body falls asleep, and your imagination is able to properly take hold of your senses. Funnily enough, most of the time you won’t even notice the exact moment when this occurs. Eventually it becomes evident that you no longer have any link to the real world, and your initial image, which was previously displayed before your eyes, now occupies each of your senses. Congratulations, you’re conscious inside a dream.

Naturally, to increase the chances of this actually working, it’s advised that you get around 6 hours of sleep prior to your attempt. This allows you to much more reliably enter REM sleep directly, often without having to endure the first few dreamless sleep cycles over again. For most people, it’s also much easier and faster to get to sleep when you’ve just woken up, probably due to your mind and body still being almost totally relaxed.

I don’t recall who posted the initial idea, but I only began experimenting with this technique after reading a suggestion from another member, who’d used a comic book as the object of focus.

athiest,
wanna hear something funny? right after i read your (incredibly helpful) post, i layed down to read for a bit. I have a new book, Anne Rice’s Blackwood Farm. I bought a hard back. Its beautiful, with a gold cover and pictures of cameos on the front and back. So I stared at the book for a while then closed my eyes and tried picturing it that way. For once, i could see it in my head. I did lose my train of thought several times as per usual, but I had remarkably clear dreams that night. just another step closer to truely lucid dreaming. thanks.
mel

This sounds like a very good idea, and since I am very visual (and use 3d modeling/animation programs on top of that) it sounds like the technique that will actually get me into more than 2 five-minute dreams! I will post on my successes, hopefully anyway.

ozzie12