The way countries see each other + stereo types

lol now there’s a steriotype - americans and nasty food lol

I think tea means with miulk and black tea means without.

I think a cook ie is called a biscuit here, and a biscuit (gravy - what where you thinking!) is caled a cake, by the look of the images.

Great, so what is a cake called? :confused:

Flash boxes, you mean speed cameras. Yes, they are extreamly unpopular. They are placed in the most ridicleus and unexpected places. You can get charged for going just over 2 miles per hour!

Anyway, they usually put them at a place and then everyone who zooms of after them gets caught by another one hidden just over the hill. I think they get burned down sometimes. Or “vandalized” although that really isn’t what is happening to them - i.e. good removale of disturbance.

Given the chance, I’m sure the UK would break the speed limits. In Greece they go about 3 times their speed limits!!!

Do they have any room?

I didn’t realize that was one of our stereo-types!

When you do see people drinking out of a bag, it’s usually because it’s illegal to drink where ever they are at. For example, many cities have laws making it illegal to drink in public places… like on the street/sidewalk, in public parks, etc…

As for biscuits and gravy… don’t knock it 'till you try it. As for most of our food being disgusting… that’s probably true, as unfortunately our country pretty much lives on fast food and junk food.

Here in norway we have to hide our alcohol, as it is strictly illegal to drink in public places… :sad: If you are caught, you get a ticket of 3000nkr/443u$ dollars

Are there such laws in Britian. I thought you could drink anywhere in the UK. (exept while driving or in some other circumstances)

So the Americans never have cooked meals, nice roasts with rosemarry lamb or something and yorkshire pudding and veg etc.

Well, I suppose it does have gravy in it, and I think gravy was created in the UK. If not Europe. So it has to taste good, lol. Jokes. I’ll have to try this.

So what kind of food do they have in Germany, Norway, Belgium and Holland?

[quote=“Technodreamer”]
Are there such laws in Britian. I thought you could drink anywhere in the UK. (exept while driving or in some other circumstances)

[quote]

In some city centres it is illegal to drink in public…it’s to do with public nuisance.

While I’m here I’ll make a few comments. :tongue:

Asians Hard working, take studying seriously and very family orientated.

Australians Mainly descended from convicts and criminals. Drink lots of “tinnies” (beer) and always having barbeques. They are very racist towards the aboriginal people and the men are bery sexist.

Americans Their comedy programmes are either very good or terrible…no middle ground. They are loud. They can’t spell colour etc without leaving out the u :tongue: . They like the latest technology ie video cameras, big TVs etc. Infact big everything!

:grin: I’ll go now while I have only upset countries beginning with A!

:lol: It’s true, that picture is not the best. It links from a fast food company called “Chik Filet.” Sausage gravy and biscuits are very good though.

paranoid about alcohol - that seems so true. I never really paid attention to how it seems paranoid, but it’s the law that all alcohol sold in my state must be sent out in a brown paper bag. That is not a joke, it is truth. Not sure why? :confused:

Every neighborhood in this country seems to have a different type of fashion. TV audiences dress over the top and usually sleazy. :happy: However, I think that people here watch one episode of “Queer eye for the straight guy” or “Jenny Jones’ makeovers” and seem to think they have enough knowledge to start a new (and hideous) fashion trend. :bored:

Technodreamer, cakes here usually have icing/frosting on top. Cakes are sweet, large and need to be cut into slices, unless it’s “cupcakes” (which are like very similar to muffins.) Biscuits are always handheld, and not large like cakes. :lol: Cakes are dessert, and biscuits are never sweet enough for dessert. (unless you eat it with jelly (hahaha, or 'jam" if you don’t know what 'jelly is!) )

Technodreamer, we have a working household and don’t have time for “cooked dinners” everynight. We average 2-3 cooked meals a week.

I think we need a “What’s for dinner thread” to discuss the many various diets we all have. :smile:

but "yorkshire pudding" has never touched these lips. :lol: maybe it’s a Yorkshire thing. :wink:

What’s wrong with biscuits and gravy? And I dress hideously?? Send me a picture of what your clothes are… probably those funny lassie ones. And it’s true, McDonald’s is like the god of America. I like burgers too, but I definitely don’t eat them every day! (Actually once every 2 months…) and I think the local Taco Bell is much better! Could be because I live in California, all these Mexicans swarming around…

may I make a statement about Mexicans… they make up 2/3 of our prison population… and 2/3 of our failing students here at school…

I’ve never heard of Australia being criminal central though.
Maybe I confused dutch cheese with chocolate?
plus i’ve never eaten lamb in my life… sounds good though. Our fancy meals come packaged with fancy restaurants that charge an arm and a leg. And if you count frozen dinners as home cooked meals…

I see, lol. We usually call anything that is cake like (icing or not) a cake.

How can you people live off of fast food. I would feel ill after a while. Plus the stuff they put in junk food is discusting. Grind up horse hoove, pigs eyes etc!

You’ve never had yorkshire puds, they are really deliceus. However they are not pudding like, they are more like a bready cup like thing.

Oh I have a very bad dress style. I’m not really bothered much though. Those TV shows sound aweful. They sound like “Dr.Phil” shows (sorry I can’t stand them).

So do the Americans like protesting agianst their goverment? Over here we love doing it (I think). Mind you, if our goverment would put less into armed forces and speed cameras, but more into school etc, we would be better off.

How come the Europe never talks about it’s goverement, and how bad a job they are doing? (If so) Lol.

interesting idea, what’s for dinner topic, recently i thought about something like that, but then with recepies and everything - the local specialties as it where.

but we can combine it whith the local fastfood too ofcourse :wink:

about the dressing thing - well i don’t claim all the dutch are fashionable but in general i think americans have weird taste in clothing. But on the other hand you also have very cool styles. I like the streetwear kind of style and i actually have bought a lot of cool jeans, tshirts and sweaters while i was over there on my last holiday.
infection: what do i have to imagine by ‘lassie style?’

But is something with the general taste that is weird. Also homedecoration is something you don’t seem to grasp :grin: I’ve seen home decoration shows on tv over there and they do this home make over thing and it looks hideous when they have finished :lol: Mind you, we have shows like that over here too and the end result isn’t always so wonderful as well but it seems that americans just don’t care too much what’s in their houses or that the colors match or that it has quality.

I speak out of experience. Lol, yes why don’t we start a ‘this is my living room topic’ :lmao:

Tapir: hmm dutch stereotype of germans? It is true that the dutch have been raised with a dislike for germans, especially right after the war. But that is now more than 50 years ago. But still the wound is deep in some people. Others just think they are funny when they say “give me my bike back”. But it is true, germany does have some kind of negativity associated with it and we seem to be more orientated towards england/america, and france and somehow skip germany. I never realized that until you pointed that out.
But other than that we do have a german stereo type:
drinks a lot of beer, eats bratwurst, sings schlagers :smile:
i’ve been to germany once or twice and it strikes me how well behaved the citizens are. The streets are clean and ppl have respect for the community.

Yeah, we do love protesting against our government. Probably a little too much :cool:

hehe, like today for example: :cool:
“Bush Gets Booed During His Visit to MLK’s Grave.”

Isn’t booing someone when they are trying to show respect to the departed disrespectful to the departed and them.

In the UK, it is illegal to be homeless. Homlessness can end up with big fines (ha) or even imprissonment. The best thing is that after they have given a criminal record, the record helps prevent the homeless from getting a house!

Yes, I thought it was disrepectful too Technodreamer. The protesters claimed that Bush wasn’t sincere, and it was “just for show.” Even so, MLK was receiving a visit and respect from this country’s President, and so I think it was disrespectful to MLK too.
I only posted the story to show the ongoing protesting that happens everyday in this Country.

Wow, that sounds horrible. It makes me wonder how it ever got that way. Homelessness seems to be a problem in all Countries, and some homeless people actually claim they prefer to be homeless. Some would rather live a life of poverty than be stressed with modern worries.

That is just plain sick… :grrr:

thinking back to those old kid movies where those dolls who come to life sing “have you ever seen a lassie”…
plaid. lots of it. plaid skirts i mean. i’ve got all of europe besides britain associated with that.

well, when they’re in prison, they have shelter and food… it’s sort of like landing in jail in monopoly when all of the properties have been taken and everywhere you land boom… maybe not. I agree it was disrespectful to MLK to boo at his grave, but it was a novel way to make another insult to bush…

come on lets think of more stereotypes… i’m all out… so little knowledge about foreign countries… hey that means I fit in the “ignorant” stereotype…

CHEERIO!

Do Europeans really say “Cheerio?” and what does it mean?

Cheerio! :grin:

how about us finns? well i think finland is so small nation that there ain’t many stereotypes about us, probably just coyntries near us have some… like we have steretypes about swedes, russians etc…

I wouldn’t say it was disrespectful, MLK was strongly against war and Bush obviously isn’t. I could see it being disrespectful if Bush brought peace to even 1 nation, but he didn’t, at that point he was just doing it because A. As the president, he had too. And B. To continue to try to look like the good guy, who is striving for peace. If anything its disrespectful that Bush would lay the wreath at all.