Problem with falling asleep

I’ve allways had troubles with falling asleep :sad:
I guess i’m used to it, I just dont fall asleep that fast, i can accept that.

It might have various reasons, stress, emotions, unregular sleeptimes…
Weekends are the problem I guess :razz: I go to bed late, like 2:00. And sleep for like 10 hours :smile: Till 12:00. This causes I cant fall asleep the next day before 2:00 or something because i’m not tired. So the next day I’ll sleep till noon again.
But the next day i’ve to get up early, but still cant go to sleep at normal times. So I sleep like 5 hours that night. The next day i’m kinda tired… and plan to go to bed early, but it’s so often that even then I cant fall asleep :bored: So i’ve another short night… most of the next days it’s better and i’ll fall asleep after some reading or something. So I finish the week, and then it’s Friday again, so I stay up late, and sleep long… etc etc.

What has allways been a problem is that if i’m thinking of falling asleep i’m so focused on it i wont fall asleep. I’m trying to relax, and i am relaxed, but at the point that i’m floating away i ‘wake up’ again, because i’m thinking too much of it. So the only way for me to fall asleep seems to be very tired, or try to think of nothing so my thoughts will go somewhere but not sleeping or dreaming itself. Ok that works…

But, now i’m trying to recall my dreams etc, i should sleep a bit more actually, i’ve read something which says you’ll dream/recall way less on short nights… and i guess thats true, because in the weekends i’m more likely to remember a dream.

What should I do about this?
I guess the answer is ‘relax’ but how am I gonna do that, and how is it gonna make me sleep. If i’m doing anything related to sleeping or dreaming just before i fall asleep it just seems to make me aware/awake again.

There are so many reasons that a person can have problems sleeping at night. I think it’s quite clear though that your problem is inconsitency. You need to go to sleep at around the same time every night, give or take a half-hour. That’s what I do, I go to sleep in between 11:30 and 12:30 every night without fail. Even on weekends!

Another consistency problem you have is the amount of sleep you get each night. If you’re sleeping 10 hours one night and 5 hours the next night, that’s crazy!! I would say to pull your bedtime back between 11:30-12:30 (hey, it works for me) and get up at the same time every morning.

They always say it, and it’s true - 8 hours of sleep is ideal. That’s because your body does 2 sleep cycles in the average night which are both 4 hours. If you just wake up for the day in the middle of one of those cycles, your body is going to want to go to sleep to finish it all day long! That’s why too much sleep can be just as bad as not enough sleep!

Anyway, I think I’m starting to stray from the point… Just be consistent with your sleeping and I think you’ll be doing much better.

Yeah I should try that :smile:
The only thing is I wont be able to go to bed that early in the weekends, that would mean I could never go out or something :sad:
Anyway I dont go out every weekend, but I still tend to stay up late, so i’ll try to change that a bit!

Yeah, well… it’s not really strict rules anyway, just guidelines. :smile:

It’s kind of misleading for me to say “I go to bed at X time without fail”. I’ve been known to get drunk until sunrise. But the more you can follow a schedule, the better.

Julian, Your sleeping patterns sound exactly the same as mine. I should be in bed now really. Often in the week when I’ve woken up at 7.30am I feel so tired all morning but when it gets to 11pm I’m wide awake and could stay up till 3 or 4am if it wasn’t for work the next day :grrr:
So far my lucid dreams only happen during the late hours of morning.

We’ll both have to try following legacy5k’s advice.

oh well at least i’m not the only one then… :content:

Today I went to bed at 1:30, and i’ve slept very well, and recalled like 3 or 4 dreams :eek: But I did sleep till 10:30. I can do the same tomorrow, but monday i’ll have to get up at 7:30 again… anyway i’ll keep trying :smile:

hmm yeh i kind of have the same problem, it takes me about 2 hours to get to sleep sometimes. It gets really frustrating because i want to fall asleep so bad and i just wont. At night im always thinking of LDing or dreaming or sleeping or school or work or something that i just cant get out of my mind and i tell myself to not think but then my mind just wanders back to one of those topics. but seriously it has to be the most frustrating thing in the world, imagine not being able to fall asleep for hours. even when you really wanted to?! :neutral: … i have to go through that nearly every night! :cry:

don’t have such problem…i get asleep too fast :neutral:

try not to intake anything that would act as a stimulant 2hrs before you intend to goto bed.

Coffee/Tea, smoking, coke/fizzy drinks etc.

The intake of any stimulant will battle sleep and give you problems getting to sleep.

Well, I’ve had EXACTLY this problem too, but I’m about to change that. I’ve got asleep pretty early for some days now. By the way, I’ve heard somewhere that it isn’t really a problem to change the sleep-rhythm one night every week or so. If you keep going to bed early the other days, it shouldn’t be a problem. I think it was some sleep researcher who said that.

I made a resolution this year to change my sleeping pattern. It hasn’t worked at all. I’m still going to bed far too late :sad: and then I’m not relaxed enough to succeed with DILD’s, WILD’s etc. as I’m worrying about how much sleep I’ll get.

that seems the be the barrier for alot of us…including me. I have such a short attention span that I sometimes all together say “screw it” and just stay up…and alot of the time that makes me goto bed hehe. try meditating, that works for me too…but i have to be in the mood.

You could masterbate, that would always tire me out…

yes, masturbation should calm your body down and make you feel worn out enough that sleep could come easier…

it’s kinda weird suggesting that you masturbate though, hehe

I find heroin always does the trick… Only kidding.