Using lucidity to imrpove real life skills?

I use LDs to practice street magic. Ive actually watched tricks being preformed over and over than when I went to bed I tried then and was able to pull them off. After about 5 nights in a row i have them ready to preform. Actually now that I think about I found this site because I was on a magic forum and someone mentioned learning a flourish in their dream.

Intersting idea, but what do you meen by street magic?

learning in a dream…I think in a dream you can just practise but not really learn something…but, on the other hand, no limits in LDs :content:

A popular technique used by athletes is to visualize an activity before doing it. The downhill skier who visualizes the course, each turn, before actuauly racing.

Experiments have shown that visualizing an activity in great detail can equal the skills learned from actually doing the same activity. That is why it’s so popular with athletes.

You can quickly see the application in Lucid Dreaming.

These ideas are good. I dn’t no if this drawback has been mentioned, but you can’t read in a LD easily. It takes practice.

Street magic is basically magic you preform for anyone anywhere. It includes card sleights, coin tricks, fire, leviation, mentalism, and bascially anything magical you can do to a random person you walk up to on the street. Right now im sure some of you probably know who David Blaine and what he does or well used to do was street magic. Now hes just a stuntman and a hypocrite but lemmie get off that subject before i get carried away.

Some scientist did research (don’t know how) awhile ago that lead them to the conclusion that doing something in a dream (not neccersarily a LD) can improve that aspect in RL (the example i heard was if you were to dream you were working out or doing something physical when you wake up your muscle mass would have increased) wierd huh?

I highly doubt you can make yourself physically stronger just because of a dream. Your muscles have no resistance when you are sleeping, so the most you could do would be to flex them over and over, and this wouldnt build much muscle mass at all =/

A year and a half ago i would have told you i highly doubt that one can become totally conscious in a dream and take control over it and look where i am now!
I can’t vouch for that myself just something i heard.

If you’re sightreading a piece of music in an LD, how do you know what notes to play? I know that in EWLD there is an account of somebody saying that they sightread a piece of music and when they were awake they played the same piece perfectly. I’m just wondering whether you’d need to memorize the music in your mind first before you attempt to sightread it in a dream - otherwise I can’t see how you’d be able to play it. :smile:

What do you mean? Obviously you know what to play because you just sightread it.

However, this only amounts to your subconcious creating a tune and then you being able to play it. It doesn’t count as improved sightreading because your mind already knows that tune.

I read in EWLD that the brain activity for doing something in a dream is the same as for doing it in real life. At first sight I thought, “Wow, I can do something in a dream and it’ll stimulate that part of my brain and make me better at it” but then I thought…

What your brain needs to learn is feedback. In fact, for an instrument, it needs 10,000 hours of feedback to become semi-professional. Your own brain can’t give you feedback, it’s all your own invention :tongue: .

The idea is that you sight read an existing piece of music perfectly in a lucid dream and then when you’re awake you attempt to play the same piece and you can supposedly play it perfectly. What I was saying was that the whole point in sight reading is that you’ve never seen the music before. I was wondering how it’s possible to sight read an existing piece of music in a lucid dream if you’ve never seen it before, as you wouldn’t know how the notes appear on the page. I was suggesting whether you’d need to choose the piece of music beforehand, memorize the notes in your mind so that when you come to lucid dream you have the music in your mind to play from. Also it’s supposed to be really difficult to read in an LD so I was really just trying to find out what methods would be used to overcome this. :smile:

I tried snowboarding and i think i was beter than last time i went.

As far as improving Physical skills goes I think this is defiantly possible. When I was practicing martial arts I would often visualize my self doing different maneuver and found that when I went to do them for real I was better. If I was able to use visualization to help I think that LD ing would be even better.

hey… this is a great topic. i think allot of us need to learn from our lds…

i am using my knowledge from dreams and practicing in waking life…

become my dream self…

I always do that before I start.
Never knew that it was a popular technuiqe, I just started doing it. :smile:

Yes. You can use your LD s to enhance your waking life.

I wonder if you could carry such abilities such as telekinesis and flight into real life? Perhaps very slowly and gradually, and gradually…i know there are at least small things about such abilities that you will gain experience in through the usage of in LD…whether such knowledge is useful IRL is up to you… :grin:

I have been using LaBarges technique he has in his book EWLD. I desparately wnat to get good at surfing. I have tried several times, but its very hard to learn, especially with the kind of board I have. I finally had a dream about surfing the other day, unfortunately it was not Lucid but the fact that I dreamed about what I wanted to impressed me. I def think I will be having Lds about surfing soon.

I agree, surfing is hard, hopefully you get really good thanks to your dreams, if you do get better let me know because i can use some surfing skills