Telling people about LD's

When i told some of my friends about it i found out that two of them are naturals. They have about 1/month. And they are brothers, so i figure LDing is inherited to a degree.

Some people don’t believe in foreseeing, AP etc. and think that LD is also something supernatural [= crap]. (that’s what I did in the beginning…). It’s strange, because hypnosis is also a strange thing, and there are many myths about it, but it’s known as a science fact.

Lol, I can imagine they look at you like that when you use words like “enlightening”.

Well, my experiences:
I always was a bit carefull with talking about stuff like LDing.
I told my family and some very close friends. I think my brother is the only one interested in it (though not practicing himself), the rest simply accepts it.
To other people I did only speak about it when I had the feeling they might really be interested.
It´s usually easy to tell. If you are not sure, just make a casual remark about dreams when it fits in the conversation. When the other one goes for it, I start talking about something “stranger”, like incubation. Now you either get strange looks or you can continue with LDing :wink:

tapir

Actually it’s my best friend through who I found this site last year :happy: She’s also into Lucid Dreaming, obviously, although less active than I am. Other than that I’ve been trying to explain LDing to my mom, my brother, and write about it in my online journal a lot. So far one of the friends on my journal says he has LDs now and then as wel, and I encouraged him to look into it. Another close friend of mine I also got interested in LDing after comparing Lucid Dreaming to the Matrix (a very handy comparison to get the interest of Matrix fans!)

And well, everyone already knows I’m weird. So I might just as well tell them about LDing. :slight_smile:

If you’re trying to explain LDing to someone, and they seem cynical, don’t hesitate to tell them that scientific research at Stanford University, California, has proven that becoming aware in your dreams is a real thing and not just some hippy flower power babble. :razz:

Well, I for one have/had no trouble telling ALL my friends.

It took a while for me to explain the concept of lucid dreaming to a few friends. I hinted at related topics pretty frequently, but it usually took a few drinks before I went “all out” on the topic with terminology and personal experiences. It didn’t initially seem that anyone really took it seriously (I guess it’s difficult to understand how profound it is before you’ve witnessed it yourself) but it doesn’t really bother me.

i think its because we r taught to believe that dreams are of no importance and it it a waste of time to even think about them. When one finds out how fun dreaming can really be and how far it can go, its hard to get any1 else(4 the most part) to appreciate it as much as u 4 the reason i stated.

Lol in french class one day some1 was doing a presentation on dreaming and i thought of asking the class if any1 had ever realized they were dreaming…boy…i sure did get interesting feedback about that! Some ppl said they do taht all the time, some ppl didnt know waht i ment…and my teacher lol…she said " i wonder what kind of drugs u have to be on to do ThaT! (realize u r dreaming)"

all im going to say is good luck to those who r introducing the idea of (lucid) dreaming to some1 else, u never knwo what u will get…be prepared 4 what comes your way.

I have a friend who LD’s naturally several times a week and he hates it. He says he not only hates it but is unable to stop Lucid dreams. He never wanted to LD and says it just happens. He is convinced there is something seriously wrong with him and is seeing a psychiatrist about it. I told him it is a gift and he should be grateful to have it but he wants no part of it. So I have to agree with Jarod. It appears there are some people out there to whom this LD comes naturally.

I wonder if we at LD4all (and all LD’ers) have something in common? What type of people are more likely to believe/get interested?

You could try sorting that on personality type (the INTP / ENTJ / INFP / etc thing), on astrology (maybe a Saggitarius is more interested in the paranormal/spiritual?), or on hobbies, age, gender, nationality… :smile:

I myself am also interested in things like science-fiction and fantasy, plus philosophy and spirituality. I have an open mind about the world around me and believe that nothing in the universe is absolute.

It’d indeed be interesting to find out what the common factor is we share, beside LDing, that led us here… :slight_smile:

Isn’t it funny? First I thought I’ve to tell everyone about it. I mean, lucid dreaming, you can do what you want, the way you want and with practice it even feels like RL. I mean, how DUMB must someone to NOT want to get them?

I mean … hello? It’s an almost perfect virtual reality, and its for free. But no one is interested.

An Anime Fan: “Asuka from NGE is so cute! If I could just meet her …”
Me: “You know, there is something called lucid dreaming where you …”
An Anime Fan: “ehm … ok (looks at me as if I’m some kind of alien)”

(no, this never happend, but you get the idea)

Nah … I don’t understand it. They’re all crazy, imho :smile:

My girlfriend had her first LD yesterday. I told her about LD’ing and she read some of the info at ld4all and yesterday morning she realized she was dreaming, but she got too excited and lost control. She said she still knew she was dreaming, but couldn’t raise her hand or walk when she meant to.

You should always tell people about LD. Anyone who’ll listen. Spread the wealth. :content:

hmmm i wish i could help :confused: i told the entire of my year 10 when iwas back there and got like half of em trying it. :happy: i dont know how i just told a few people talked to a few people about it with in ear shot of others and it boomed from there but i like to talk infront of a lot of people so i got a lot of people to listen, i told the some of my ld and gave them a lot of rt to do :happy:

made em try it and then a few weeks later i had them telling me about their ld. DONT GIVE UP :happy:

Richard

LDing is so unusual not because it’s paranormal (it actually isn’t). It gives chance to fulfill all your fantasies and makes possible things that would never be possible IRL. I think that’s why people don’t believe in it.

I told my sis and bro in law (i live with them) about lucid dreaming and they think I’m retarded. I don’t care…at least I’m not cenial like them…and they’re only 21. They really need to lucid dream or meditate or something cause they’re way to depressed/stressed. I think I got my bro in law into it though. He always wakes up and tries to impress me with the dream he had the previous night. And on top of that when I go online the ld4all.com site is towards the bottom meaning I wasn’t on the site recently and when I check the computer the next day its at the very top meaning it was viewed recently. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I told all my friends about it when I first found out about LD’s. My two best friends got interested… one of them is still trying.
Some of my other friends said they had LD’s sometimes, they just didn’t know it was called Lucid Dreams. The rest was interested but didn’t really want to have them.

It’s just my mom who says it’s bullshit (and she believes in ghosts and other supernatural crap :eh: ). But she usually says everything I’m interested in is a waste of time, so it wasn’t surprising…

haha… I told 2 of my friends that I knew wouldn’t disown me, they didn’t show intrest, but pretended to to make me feel better.
Then I took a risk and told my other friend and she said “HA! You just want to have sex with Johnny Depp!”

What she would give to have sex with Johnny Depp…

It’s too bad that she didn’t look past her initial reaction, because she would REALLY enjoy it if she tried!

Anyway, I gave up on her, and I don’t think my sister would be interested. I don’t really know who else to tell. If I get a chance I’ll do a project on it and present it to my class, but I doubt I’ll get the chance

Well, I recently bought EWLD so now I can wave it in people’s faces, quoting Stephen LaBerge, in particular the parts that mention the scientific research and experiments for proof. And sometimes LaBerge’s Ph.D. title is enough to get people to consider that maybe it’s not all nonsense. o_O

Yes, I think that when telling people about LD’s you should steer away from “enlightenment” and “personal growth” because they will think it’s some hippie myth.
I think it’ll be good to have Stephen Laberge’s PhD title to let people know that it is true

The thing is there are people who you can tell and people you can’t.
You’ll find a way to find out who is who.