Getting the Incentive

Well, i’ve visited the Lucid Dreaming site for a while, because in my opinion it is one of the best i’ve ever visited by far. Yet somehow I never actually visited this forum before, and it looks like a really helpful place for advice.
I just wanted to ask a question about how do people keep their incentive and motivation to do this every night - trying to recall dreams, and induce lucid dreams, when for weeks on the last mark they may have little to no success.

Near a year ago I started trying to lucid dream, and a month or two alone were spent just working on dream recall. The first night started off with a Bang, since I was so excited I had a False Awakening dream. (Woah, what a trip that was.)
I had very good recall of 3 dreams a night for a long time, and wrote them down in my journal, which I still do if my dream recall is not what it once was.

After I started actually trying to induce the lucid dreams, what I noticed was a seperation between me and the dreams. Almost as if the usual pull of the dreams, that drags me along with the story, began to lessen its strength. In a way dreams became more boring, and often had me just standing around one place talking to people and nothing happening.
Finally I had a Lucid Dream, and it was one of the most amazing experiances of my life, if rather comical on how it came about. Infact, I became lucid by having a ‘dream’ that I was going lucid. So in actuality, by dreaming about having a lucid dream I really had a lucid dream. lol
First I was very surprised, and tried telling my sister in the dream who was with me that I was dreaming. She seemed less then surprised. :alien:
Picking up a piece of paper, on it was a strange and beautiful poem about dreams which I wished I could remember. Everytime i looked up, and back at the page, the poem would change as if it continued where it had previously ended. After trying a few magic tricks, and even flying (I felt a strange moving motion, and clouds moving past me started to appear, but i never actually got it as the dreamscape changed around me suddenly).
Well, after this I was on the verge of jumping around my room, screaming with hyper excitment! I had been trying a very very long time for this, and felt like it finally paid off.

However after this happened, things started getting hectic with school and home, and instead of trying to induce lucid dreams I just wanted to go to sleep. Very lazy, but when your tired it happens.
Its been a few months now, and i’ve decided its time to pick it up again, but how do you keep your motivation?
I know it may be a long while before I have another lucid dream, and I want to try and make it all the way this time. Just trying to make sure I don’t give up half way. :shy:
Any suggestions?

One easy way is to get a book, such as “Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming” by Stephen LaBerge, and read a few pages in bed at night. If you’ve already read it, re-read interesting the interesting or relevant sections. Good luck!

I have a chocolate that I keep by my bed, when I have my next lucid dream. I will finally let myself eat it. Rewards could keep you motivated.

. . . I hope that chocolate doesn’t go stale before my next lucid dream :grin: