Vibrating watch and LD?

Hi folks,

I have red a post of one guy on one of little known lucidity lists that he have had much success with a self made device that looks like this: he puts a glove on his hand, sets his cellphone o vibe mode, puts the cellphone inside the glove, sets his PC to call himself at a given time (like, 5 am). At 5 am this thing starts to vibrate on the hand and he reported having several LDs right away. I don’t know whether it is true or not but sounds interesting. I don’t want to use his kind of hi-tech :grin: so I have ordered a vibrating watch called VibraLite 3 in order to try it. I imagine 2 different modes to use it:

1. To set the alarm for say 5.30 am and hope that vibrations on the hand will give you a hint that you are sleeping

2. To set a built-in autoresetting countdown timer to for example 15 minutes and have the thing vibrate every 15 minutes, and do the reality check - for example to look at the watch twice. When sleeping, the vibe will tell you to do the reality check and you (hopefully) become lucid.

So, the question is: did anybody try this approach, if so, what were the results?

PS. Sorry guys, looks like there is a topic below discussing vibrating pagers - I missed it for some reason, I was looking everywhere for “vibrating watch” :content:

I like the method lol, why dont have i a vibrating watch lol :wink:

Jeff

was lookin at this, seems itneresting- can we maybe get some answers from the pros?

Hmm. That could be a cheap, effective alternative to the REM-detectors. I think the vibrating would be a better DS as opposed the flashing light as well.

seems interesting, but look slike it might wake up a lot of people i dont know if it owuld wake me up.

hey i gonna try that technique, at least once.

I’d try that if I knew how to set my watch to vibrate every hour. I already tried pressing every button and every combination thereof. I guess it’s beyond my technical ability.

Actually my watch vibrated during once of my dreams. The vibration manifested as a cell phone vibrating.

So, if you are going to do this, also do a reality check when answering your cell phone!

Edit: ok, I got it set correctly. time to see if this works.

i’ve been looking for a vibrating watch for a long time now… especially one that has MORE than one alarm (most new watches have more than one alarm, which means you can set it to beep you or vibrate you more than once a night)… I thought i could give skin signals a try.

though i don’t know how much more effective than light this would be. to my knowledge light has been the best way to signal into the dream world… i think either sound or skin came in second.

and keep away from cell phones, prolonged contact to a cellphone is not good for you, so the glove technique (though it might work fine) may not be a healthy option…

this is what you need then

globalassistive.com/vbl3.html

you can time it to vibrate like every 20 minutes or whatever, great watch. i have it - but haven’t tried to induce lucid dreams with it yet, maybe i am just lazy.

:cool_laugh: yep, that’s what i need.

i didn’t really look that hard, so thanks for pointing this one out…

seems great :happy: i just hope all that vibrating doesn’t eat your battery in 2 months.

heh, the battery is good.

One time I forgot about it and didnt turn the vibration off, so I left it on for like a week still vibrating every 20 minutes. That was like 4 monthes ago and the battery is still good (although I dont use it as much anymore)

i’m now convinced :happy:

i’ll go look for one and if i can’t find one i’ll buy one online.

i bought mine on ebay for pretty cheap (got the steel version)

the only one i could find on e-bay is the vibrating keychain one… the others won’t ship to canada. i’m wondering why the big watch companies don’t make these.

anyway, i found a vision/hearing impared store in montreal that MIGHT sell them, i’ll pay it a visit one of these days.

I remember reading in EWLD that vibration isn’t that effective in inducing LDs, but I guess it’s a good way to help you to always do RCs :cool: Since you are paralysed during REM you probably won’t feel that much at all during the night :sad: But who knows, maybe it will work anyway :content: Light it good because your eyes still react to light when you are in REM.

I have a vibralite watch which I bought just for the purpose of helping to induce lucid dreams, and yes it did help me to have a few lucids. I found that the best way to use it is to set the vibro alarm to go off every hour- day and night. Every time you feel the vibration during the day, you should do a reality check, and this is eventually carried into your sleep and you should find that you begin reality check on-cue in your dreams. The downside is that (for me anyway) your mind has a habit of becoming accustomed to the cues, and after a period of time begins to blank them out. I found that the same was true of the NovaDreamer. Initially it gave me many lucid dreams, but once my mind became used to the light cues it stopped working. When I used the NovaDreamer again after a break of a couple of weeks I found that it worked again but for a shorter period of time (maybe 2 days) after which my mind blanked it again.
So I think the short answer is that these cueing methods do work, but you need to use them intermittantly for best results. Take time off and use other methods in between.
I would recommend always using the sleep/wake/ backto bed method in conjunction with any other method you are using. This really increases your chances of lucidity and is probably the most effective technique I’ve ever used.
Cheers.