Wow, being the newbie is a lot different...

I like watching pro wrestling. Mainly, I’ve been trying to focus on watching puroresu, which is Japanese pro wrestling, and has no lame storylines. I understand the backstage workings and the history of the federations, I know what a wrestler has to go through to get to the top… I follow everything from the WWE to New Japan Pro Wrestling to Ring Of Honor, a local indy federation, which is just a smaller federation. I’m usually that guy that everyone talks to if they need to know anything, because I’m basically a walking wrestling encyclopedia. I never was a newbie “mark” who cheered for guys like Hulk Hogan and The Rock. I’ve tended to liking the guys who can mix REAL wrestling into brawling, making an extraordinary showcase of amateur/lucha libre talent.

…Now, I am the newbie. I’m that guy with a billion questions. I’m the guy doing everything wrong and getting advice. It just feels a lot different, being the best from both worlds… I think being the newbie has given me a whole different perspective of things. When someone has a question, instead of thinking “How could you not know that?!” I think, “Well, you wouldn’t know. You’re just new to this whole thing.”

I don’t know. to you, it may seem like this is stupid and that I should’ve looked at the question from both points of view, but for some reason I just never did. I think being both a newbie and a walking encyclopedia has made me a better person.

Well, my rant’s over.

Well, just so you know I am newbie friendly and don’t like the term newbie very much. I think it implies that a person, just because they have newly appeard on a scene, are going to be moronic and annoying and I hate assumptions like that.

Oh, if you only knew - actually maybe you do - how true it is that in some areas ‘noob’ is a derogative term… Just go and try to play Warcraft III over the internet. People are so elitist there it sometimes becomes unbearable…

My ex-girlfriend kinda used to be into wrestling. :content:
Do you like martial arts, too? In a way martial arts competitions and/or movies kind of seem like wrestling to me, without having the negative connotation.

“Newbie” negative, well then how did THEY all get started :eh: . The beginners mind is the truely open mind.

I have to agree that this word, “newbie” has a lot of negatives packed in there. I noticed that when people call someone a newbie, they assume that this person is annoying and stupid. Of course this person doesn’t know anything because he/she is new to this subject, but it doesn’t mean that this person is stupid or/and annoying.

I’m newbie friendly as well… I like to welcome new people in the circle. :smile: Good luck on your LD journey…

Lieve Dromen! (Sweet Dreams!)

Well, I try to eliminate eliteism wherever I find it. Even within myself. Its hard sometimes when faced with overwhelming stuborness/stupidity/carelessness to feel you are not above someone but all the more reason to not chastise the offender and instead try to school them so there will be less of those things in the world.

Just calling someone a n00b and making fun of them doesn’t do anything but perhaps stroke your own ego. I find the best way to deal with those kind of people is just to stop responding to them whatsoever. Cut off the attention they are obviously after.

Well, I didn’t mean newbie in a negative way. I’m just saying, it feels weird to be new. I agree, the term newbie shouldn’t have a negative affect, as it’s just someone who’s new at something.

And yes, I like martial arts. I’m going to be taking jiu jitsu later this summer. I see a lot of jiu jitsu takedowns being used in pro wrestling, like the o soto gari (They call it the STO, Space Tornado Ogawa… Naoyo Ogawa was an MMA fighter turned puroresu wrestler.) A lot of MMA fighters are also shootfighters, or have a similar style. Naoyo Ogawa, Yuji Nagata, Yoji Anjoh, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Manabu Nakanishi, Yutaka Yoshie…

Sometimes, I’ll go to sherdog.com and look at the MMA standings and such. From playing Fire Pro Wrestling D, a Japanese import, I’ve seen a lot of shooters. Some of these guys use actual wrestling, called vale tudo, which is considered a martial art.

Kensuke Sakuraba (I forget his first name, but I think it starts with a K.)
Rickson Gracie
Royce Gracie
Ryan Gracie
Renzo Gracie
Aleksandr Karelin
Igor Vovchanchyn
Ernesto Hoost
Bob Sapp

…sorry if my post seems offtopic or whatnot. Once I get into a topic I like, I can’t stop talking about it. x.x

fabi, I tottaly know what you mean. I used to play Starcraft, and “newb” was practically a curse word. It was one of the worst insults you could administer to someone, and everyone automatically treated you worse if you were indeed a newbie. I remember many a 2v2 game where one person would be appealing to the others to call the game a truce because “my partner is a fucking newb”.

Elitism is another dumb human concept that seems not to do anybody any good at all. Believing that you are somehow “higher” or superior to someone will decrease the quality of life for both of you; the elitist does not have the joy of meeting (and possible helping, depending on the circumstances) an interesting person, and the “elitee” so to speak is degraded. Elitism is kind of like war; it’s not beneficial to anyone, but people do it anyway.

I’m a newbie to this whole lucid dreaming thing (well, sorta, I’ve had some ideas one my own…) I don’t think that the term newb or newbie is mean. A newb is someone who is new. A noob on the other hand, is an idiot who either loves to annoy you or cheats to win at some game, therby also annoying you.

Noob = annoying person
Newb = new person

I’m a newbie to LDing too. Everyone here has been great and tried to help. I’ve felt very welcomed to the forum. If I ever get the hang of LDing, I’m going to try to be helpful to other new people as well.

You know, back when I was actually watching that crap wrestling on TV, I actually liked The Rock. Can you smell anything?

Hey, this is the Lounge.