The BIG "Was this a LD?" Topic

What seemed like another dream? Was it actually a dream?

It isn’t “supposed” to feel like anything. We are not the masterful weavers of your sleep experience, determining the every detail of your encounters… you are!

Generally it feels like normal, then I remember about the dream, and I get a bit of an excitement rush.

I’m really only interested in the theory and was never planning on actually having an LD. So I never kept a DD or tried to remember my dreams. So I will need help on deciding whether this one was or not.

I’m getting ready to go to a new school called the Ursuline which is in Essex and its like the afternoon, I think to my self - I live in Northern Ireland why should I go to this school ah this must be a dream I can do whateva i8 like. I’m in a garden at that point (everything fizzles out after i think bout it bing a dream) and I see a bicycle. I get a cool idea to do what they did in ET. I get on it and start cycling really fast n i start to fly but I only get like 3 meters above the ground - but it was really cool (i had to keep remindin myself that its a dream. I go inside and theres a coffee table and I see this sheet of paper on it. I decide to try using magic. I hold my hands near it and it starts to rise - I show off about it to my mum and then I go back. Then I try to morph something - i decide a fairy cake - first thing in my head. It wouldn’t work at first but then I tell myself its possible, cup my hands and produce a really tiny one which annoyed me.
Then I tried to morph Johnny Depp - wudnt work so I transported myself to the ‘set’ of POTC in the middle of a fight scene and got stabbed by a pirate and woke up…

THERE!

is it one?

sure sounds lilke one to me!
Congrats! :happy:

Then why are you “still” posting in this thread? :razz:

Doing the stuff might help with the theory, besides which it is Fun.

Yeah, sounds lucid to me too.

:help: Hi. I’m new here, and I have a question for the lucid dreamers. A little about me: I’ve always had good (sometimes excellent) dream recal.
I started a dream journal a month ago, and have known about lucid dreaming for a little over a week. I’ve been doing some research on becoming lucid, and I remembered a dream I’ve had in the past. I’d like to know: Was I lucid? Only at a low level of ludicity? Or was it just an exciting, vidid dream?

I love all things Medieval, so I enjoy when my dreams have medieval themes. In one dream I had a couple of months ago, I was in a medieval battle. (think ‘knights in shining armor’) It was vivid, and somehow fun. I never said “Hey, I must be dreaming!” But I think some part of me might have known, because I wasn’t worried about doing harm to anyone, and in real life, I would have felt terribly guilty. Like I said, I had fun with it. I was killed, at the end, and I remember seeing black. It didn’t scare me, however. (In real life, I have a terrrible fear of death.) I remember thinking “Darn, I died!” Just before waking up, and I was really annoyed that I wouldn’t get to fight anymore.

So, what kind of dream is this? :eh: I’ll be greatful for any help I can get on this subject. Thanks for reading.

-ThisDarkHour

Hi ThisDarkHour! Let me first say, welcome to LD4all! :happy:

If you’re into medieval stuff, then you must have had some awesome dreams! I bet it’s a great topic to dream about :smile:

Now, about your dream… A dream may be called a lucid dream if you truly realized you’re dreaming. A LD involves a certain degree of genuine self-reflection. You know you’re dreaming, and you see everything with your own eyes. You’re not longer walking blindfolded through dreamland. If you’ve acknowledged to yourself that you are indeed dreaming, while also realizing this, then you’re lucid. Ofcourse there are many levels of lucidity possible, going from very low-level to super high-level.
In this dream, you weren’t worried about what might happen to you in that dream, so that’s already a good sign. But the question is, did you know this unconsciously or were you truly aware of the nature of the situation so you really knew consciously that nothing could hurt you? From your description I’d say you knew it mainly unconsciously. There was an intention towards lucidity, but it wasn’t strong enough to break through, so it remained unconscious. I’d say you were prelucid, which means you realized something was very wrong with this picture; you didn’t really know the true nature of it, but somehow you knew nothing could really hurt you, without truly realizing you’re in fact dreaming. To jump from prelucid to lucid, you need to be critical enough towards the dream events so you start questioning the very nature of that “reality” itself. This jump can be hard for some, but once you succeed, it should get a little easier the following times.

Hope this helps :smile:

Good luck with your medieval dreaming! :content:

yeh it was fun actually…maybe i will actually TRY to LD…so that next time i get a snog out of johnny depp lolz…nah im really interested now…the strange thing was I had that dream and a REALLY vivid ND while sleeping in someone elses bed at their house (they werent in it)

Hi again! I’m back to say two things:

1. Thanks for helping me understand my dream.

2. I had my first lucid dream last night!! :smile:

It only lasted for 30 seconds to a minute, but I’m still glad that I was finally able to have it, even though it was a low level of ludicity. I got really excited when I realized I was lucid, and tried to do too many things at once, which I think woke me up so soon. Also, everything started dimming/growing blurry. I think I panicked, and put too much effort into trying to stay in the dream.

I know that you’re supposed to stay calm, and I’ve heard of the spinning technique, but does anyone know of any other ways to stay longer in a lucid dream, or anything I could do to make the dream more vivid and/or gain a higher level of lucidity? I’m looking for more unknown things that have worked for other people. I’d really like to be prepared for next time. :wink:

Congrats ThisDarkHour on your first lucid dream :happy:

When I feel the dream fading I focus on something like an object, taking in all the details and try to block out any thoughts to do with real life.
Sometimes my dreams get unstable if I’m moving too fast as well (e.g. running down the stairs - I have to slow myself down)

I found a few more ideas here

Congrats with your first LD, ThisDarkHour!!

Other techs to stabilize the LD are: rubbing your hands, touching or focusing on a dream object, or you could yell “stabilize my dream NOW!!” If you want to reach a higher level of lucidity, you could yell “increase lucidity NOW!!” or something alike.

Good luck :smile:

I think i had an ld last night
i am pretty sure it was an ld. but just to conferm it with everyone.
i was going to sleep and then i noticed someone else rolling on my bed as if they didnt know i was sleeping in it. I was like f this, who the hell is waking me up this time, got i got up slighly to see who it was but my eyes were all blurred as i had just opened them. I saw a figure of someone around my age and i yelled out a “ugh!”. I said that coz i wasnt thinking strait and was wondering why this person was in my room. He replied with an “Argh!”. I got quite scared at his point as i didnt have a clue why he was in my room. Then i realize, hey… this must be a lucid dream, so i tried to fly out of my room but the instant i did that i kind of went out of picture. Then i went back to my normal thinking in my bed. The ld ended and i was bak in my real body. My heart was racing too!
It seamed so real! More real then my normal dreams!
the ld didnt last long though.
when the ld ended i woke up but with my eyes closed. Then i decided to have a pee. This was rl

this would be my first ld right?

Hi exidez!

Yes I’d say you were lucid. You truly realized you were in a dream, although the dream is really strange. It seems more like a weird FA.

But nonetheless… you were lucid :smile: Congrats! :happy:

Good luck with your next LDs :content:

im looking forward to it.
lets see if it will last longer this time…

I have had what I think is my first lucid dream. I’m not completely sure, however.
I remember quite a lot of the dream, more than usual.

I dreamt about being in school, but it was a weird, gigantic building I have never seen before with very, very strange elevators. (you walked into a pipe and then floated to the floor you wanted to and then flew out through an opening in the pipe)

When you went down to the basement there was a village there. (not a village in a basement, but a village on an open field, strangely enough) There was some kind of person similar to some sort of ending boss from a game there that ruled over the village and that was about to do something I don’t remember that wasn’t good for me.

Near the ending of the dream (it was long, and i only remember the last third, or something like that) I realized I was dreaming, but my thoughts were still kinda stuck on the dream. I remember that I tried to do some weird stuff, like making the dream world shake while rocks appeared on the ground and then took of towards the sky, and thought it was cool that it worked. Then I decided to kick the boss’ ass and went to an open field outside the village after going back to the school to do something I don’t remember.

I remember that I then still realized that I could control my dream, but that I still acted according to the dream’s theme with the exception of affecting it in various ways. I “fought” the boss-like creature/person, and then got tired of it and made a big hole appear in the ground and made the boss fall into it, then I made the hole dissapear. After that, it went back mostly to a normal dream and I woke up just before attempting to heal someone with a big hole through his head.

If you knew you were dreaming (as you said you did), then it was an LD. Well done then on your first LD :wink:.

Yep I agree. You truly seem to have realized you’re dreaming. Thus, you were clearly lucid, though it’s probably low to medium level. Congratulations! :happy:

I think I did it. The other night I had a dream that I woke up and suddenly I realize I’m dreaming but I can’t really control it because I start rubbing my hands automatically without me meaning to. It was weird because the rubbing of my hands seemed to make the dream go away more. Oh well, I didn’t want to start a thread about it and didn’t know where else to post it.

I had a LD on Sept. 27th.

I’m talking with people about these books I found in the trash (IRL about that one). I found they had the rest of the series that I was missing so I and this girl went into the backroom where they were on top of a tall filing cabinet.

I braced myself and finally got up to where the books were. I realized that I couldn’t read them and it hits me, I’m Dreaming! So I jump down excited. The girl acted all stupid as I tried to explain it to her. If I’m ever lucid around her again (a lot of the same people figure into my dreams and have no clue who they are) I’ll tell her she’s dreaming too.

Still acting stupid and asking me what I’m doing I tell her I’m going to try this dreaming expiriment that was featured on this site. I was going to try to see weither or not I was going to be able to read the words on this blue box which was there in front of me. The words started to shift around and I couldn’t figure out any of the graphemes that made up the words. I knew what they said, but I couldn’t actually read them.

The girl’s still trying to tell me I’m not asleep and at this point I loose lucidity. I regain it a few times with a few other illogical things I have long since forgotten and forgot to write in my journal.

A few moments later I’m mad that I’m lucid because I want to enjoy the dream and not care about the behind the scenes crap because it seemed that while everything seems nice and logical, it’s not and things fall apart. Like one scene I tried to move my wheelchair (I can’t see the wheels) and I try pushing the wheels and they won’t go. I then hold up the wheels and no wonder why they don’t move, it’s because they’re only quaters of a wheelchair.

But as it was very much tied into the plot, I think it was only a light lucid dream. I woke up without the ‘feel’ of a lucid dream as well.

I think I had a small lucid dream but I’m not sure if it’s the right thing… I was dreaming I was on teh beach and I thought everything seemed a bit plastic so I had a sudden thought that everything isn’t real. Then I saw some friends jumping about in the water so I ran in and joined in with them. After a while I woke up. I didn’t fly or do anything amazing but I though maybe I was nearly lucid… Or am I making a fool of myself?

No, you are not making a fool of yourself :cool:

For me, the “this is not real” feeling is the step before becoming completely lucid. It looks like it is going the right way!