Popup Blockers

yes.

Why dont you just use the mozilla firefox browser?? It is more secure, completly free and has a built in popup blocker. IE is just a piece of crap in my opinion. Not only do you get popups when using IE, but you also are of great risks of spyware and viruses.

get a real browser from here: https://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

The main reason why you have popups poping up even when you dont surf the internet, is because the security holes of IE allowed spyware to be installed… This would probably never have happened with a decent browser like mozilla, mozilla-firefox or opera.

DreamAddict

LOL
Who let the dogs out…!!! Who…Who…Who…Who…Who…!!!

I will recommend getting an antivirus first of all :
grisoft.com AVG Its very good and FREE!!

then get Ad-aware !!!

then as others already said get a firewall such as sygate or zone alarm, they are free:
smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

and last but not least of course put the deprecated explorer in the trash and get firefox :tongue:
mozilla.org/products/firefox/
You have tons of plugins, its fully customizable, its more secure and you have skins also. The best choice :ok:

Avant is nothing more than IE with some addons… It blocks popups and gives you tabbed browsing, but it still does not render sites correctly, cause it does not follow the official web standards of the internet. Mozilla both has tabbed browsing, follows the official internet standards and blocks popups. Firefox also has a great bunch of extensions for even blocking normal banners and flash ads, which also is completly free.

IE is not a browser in my opinion, cause it does not follow the official set of standards. Such browsers should be boycotted in my opinion, cause they destroy the internet.

Since when did you need extensions for that?? Mozilla has had tabbed browsing since the beginning!!

This is not true at all, IE does not come with most of these plugins at all, it actually downloads and installs them when you first visit such a site that needs a plugin. Latest version of Firefox does this automaticly now aswell for many of the plugins.

Definitely Firefox, safe and easy :cool_laugh:
mozilla.org/products/firefox/

:lol: I totally understand that opinion!

I just figure if I’m going to be an IE fan … I’m going to have to make fun of the situation.

I was once a hardcore Netscape 4.78 user for years … until IE5.5 than IE6(oooo, cookie blockers) And I have not went back to a mozilla based browser since.

I’m using Windows and not Linux, and my IE components are going to load regardless.
My reasoning is, Why add another layer of components just for rendering webpages?

I can configure my IE for safety, and with Avant it’s another layer of protection from annoying software. It’s much less of a load for Windows users. I notice the performance difference.

Sadly IE doesn’t follow the W3C standards. But even more disappointing is that many major webpages are designed for IE … not the web standards.

I should have said “foxfire” in particular, because it’s current version as of this date[size=75](PR1.0 I think)[/size] does not have tabbed browsing the default installation.

I keep my eye on modern browsers … but the current Foxfire crashed when previewing a post on the forums :grrr: that’s why I like to make fun of it :lmao:

It also annoyed me when I would paste a long URL into the reply form … it would create a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the form?? :neutral:
IE would have wrapped the text and I wouldn’t need to scroll sideways. :content: my mouse does not scroll sideways :neutral: I don’t want to use that 1985 scroll bar.

For Windows IE is fast and loads quick, and renders pages fastest so I’m sticking to it.
but it’s a target so call me crazy.

I haven’t noticed Firefox to be faster than IE… except on slow connections. I don’t know any sites which don’t render properly, and tabbed browsing does not need an extension, and some extensions are extremely useful for web developers.

PS If your connection sucks, download the Google toolbar to block popups. The ones that come up even when you aren’t browsing are from malware (blanket term for spyware, adware etc) and you’ll need Ad-Aware for that.

PS2 I use Firefox because of the tabbed browsing, nice little icon when it blocks a popup (compare to the SP2 Information Bar :tongue:), Find-As-You-Type, fast loading of tables and general very-nice-thing-ness.

PS3 Also, I like the address bar using Google’s I’m Feeling Lucky thing, the very complete fullscreenness, and shtuff.

PS4 Also, flashblock and adblock are very neato extensions. The Universal Hints System website, for example, was extremely slow loading before I blocked the ads. (This was annoying because you have to reload the page to get another tiny little hint, or a description of something you’ve already worked out.)

I’m using Firefox both in windows and Linux, and I don’t have any problems with it. Tabbed browsing do come with the default installation, and is an integrated feature, not an extension.

I find it irritating that so many people use IE. When I update my site I have to first make it look good in Firefox using standards, then replace my (x)html with older, clumsier somewhat equalient code so that it doesn’t look totally screwed up in IE. IE is terribly outdated, and doesn’t support any standard features that are newer than three years old.

If you learn to code html properly, you will find that it is a pain having to “downgrade” your site’s (x)html all the time because nothing is in the right place when viewing using IE. It can infact take longer to “fix” the site so that it is viewable in IE than it taks to do the original layout. A month ago I had just installed a new forum for my site and was very happy with the layout of the skin I made. Then a friend told me that all the buttons were in the middle, overlapping eatchother when using IE. After a couple of tries I made it look OK in IE, but it still looks better in Firefox.

[/rant]

The google toolbar is a form of spyware. If you don’t “opt out” of certain services when installing the toolbar it will be spying on each site you visit. I’d recommend it to too though. It’s simple to opt-out.

When I installed Firefox PR1.0 a few weeks ago it did not have Tabs enabled by default.

I had uninstalled Firefox after it crashed on me, but I was going to reinstall it just to understand how I had problems with the Tabs in the default installation … but the download was corrupt!! :lol: … by then my patience was lost.

However, I remember searching through Firefox after a default install for the Tab feature. If it was there … It was not intuitive at all.
I had to install an extension, and even then there was no option to keep Firefox from opening new windows.
It was annoying, and I didn’t want to use my scroll wheel to open a tab. I wanted “real tabs” to open with my normal clicking/surfing habits … not middle clicks on a wheel.

If you visit some sites not listed in google search engine, then they will automaticly add it to google, if using that toolbar…
kinda scary :smile:

https://www.spuler.us/extensions/singlewindow.htm <---- just press the install button there, and then it will open any links in a new tab, instead of a new window… :smile: You might have to go into tools|extensions|single window options and configure what to open in tabs.

I tried it and it works sweet here.

DreamAddict:

firefox crashes…, bad instalation…, no tabs, corrupts downloads… :lol:
Sounds more like you have a virus or something isnt going very well with your windows… maybe because you have used too much the explorer and many hackers ans viruses have entered your machine :tongue:

It may be that you were confused by the absense of the tab bar itself, but that’s just an option. The tab functionality is still there. The default installation has an option called “Hide the tab bar when only one site is open” (available from Tools->Options->Advanced->Browsing). That doesn’t mean there’s no tabbed browsing, just that the tab bar is hidden when you aren’t using multiple tabs. Simply Control+Click on a hyperlink to open it in a new tab (or right-click on it and select “Open in new tab”), regardless of whether or not the above option is set. Alternatively, Control+T will open a new, blank tab. When you open a new tab in any of these ways, the tab bar will appear to show you the currently open pages.

I’m not going to jinx myself … but I’ll just say I’ve never had those types of problems guruguru. :smile:

I’m spoiled on Windows ease of use. I don’t want to spend time and effort towards fixing something that is not broken. IE works, and IE is safe for the uses I require.

Firefox1.0 is version one point zero. It’s practically still beta and my machine is not the problem. I don’t like it’s rendering among other annoyances and performance issues.

I’m not saying IE is superior to all browsers. I’m just saying Mozilla currently is not. :smile:

EDIT: This is my birthyear post, 1978 :happy:

What annoyed me the most about this feature was the requirements for extra key strokes to use tabs. I just wanted to click and have a tab open for me. I didn’t want more Firefox windows to open, and there is no option to prevent that. I thought this was the whole point for tabbed browsing?

DreamAddict:
never meant to curse you :smile: it was a joke :grin:

I’m running FF 0.9.2 so I don’t really know much about the 1.0PR version and its bugs. I do hope they integrate the single window principle in the official release (with the option to turn it off of course) so nobody has to click the scroll wheel. I also hope they don’t add more fancy stuff like the “live bookmarks”, rss is great but I don’t think most people are interested in it. The philosophy is to create a browser as simple as possible, and if you want fancy stuff install the extensions. That’s why I stick with 0.9.2 for a while. We already have Mozilla Suite for people who want everything in their browser and Firefox doesn’t need to be like that.

That said, I still find Firefox to be the most user-friendly browser ever made, and at the same time it brilliantly supports the standards, something I adore as a web designer. I’ve tried almost all other browsers. IE is terribly old and unsafe. Opera is much better but bloated with options and if you don’t pay it has ads (who wants to pay for a browser?!?) Mozilla Suite is for the experts who want everything (I only want what I need). Netscape is, well, Netscape :tongue: . “Browsers” like Avant or Maxthor still use the terrible IE-engine.

BTW it seems the next version of IE will only be supported by XP SP2. So even when Microsoft makes IE 7 safe and compatible with current standards, everybody with XP SP1, Win 2000 or 98 will have to stick with IE6 forever or change to another browser.

https://www.spuler.us/extensions/singlewindow.htm
Is not that bad… all you have to do is visit that site and press the install button, and 10secs later you have single window tab browsing :smile:

A good firewall should have an inbuilt popup blocker.

Mozilla Firefox has an inbuilt popup blocker.

www.cnet.com < search popup blockers. you should find free ones.

If you have a mouse with 3 buttons, (or more) click on a link with the middle one and it will open in a new tab. No need for extra keys.

Or you could just hold down the ctrl key and press the left mouse button on any link.