Children and interrupted nights

I wonder if any of the forum members have experience with this. I have two children (7 and 3.5 years old now), and the youngest had sleeping problems for the first three years of his life. As a result, we didn’t have an uninterrupted night during these three years… Fortunately, he’s grown over it now, and though both occasionally call us in the night, it’s back to “normal” proportions. Of course we can’t sleep long in the mornings, not even in weekends, but that’s normal too.
Because of all this, I value my sleep much more than before. I don’t want to set my alarm early to do WBTB. I do wake up “naturally” once or twice each night to go to the toilet and I try to use these for WBTB practice, but I’m not willing to stay up for a long time, and once back in bed I’m asleep in a few minutes.
I’m a LD beginner, and I’ve had 4 LDs sofar with 1-2 week intervals between each, so I’m not complaining. I was just wondering how other forum members are dealing with short and/or interrupted nights.

I only stay up for a few seconds with my WBTB. I find it works well enough for me :smile:.

Also, I find interupted nights to actually help with LD’ding quite well. It leaves your mind more concious.

I also find I have FA’s during these nights. So it’s a good idea to take a RC everytime you wake up (I wouldn’t be suprised if some of the times you woke up in the night were actually FA’s and you never knew).

However, I prefer not to have nights like these. There don’t make a LD certain and they leave me feeling tired in the morning.

P.S. No, I have no children. I’m only just 16 :wink:. Not that that really make any difference… but still… :wink:

I’d agree with the last post.
You don’t always have to stay awake for the recomended hour or 90 minutes to have success with this method. I think the key to it is staying awake long enough to actually feel like you’ve really woken up. This can be as little as ten or fifteen minutes, and you should do something to occupy your mind in this period. If it’s not practical to put the TV on, just read a book for this time with a low-light lamp if you have concerns about waking a sleeping partner. I would say it’s much better to do it for this short time than not to do it at all - it should still increase your chances of lucidity dramatically.
For me this method works best in combination with the MILD method.

Yes I also agree. Don’t stay up any longer than you have to. A few seconds to a few minutes at most.

I have read posts from other forum members who also use the get up to the bathroom as their WBTB method and it works great for them. It sounds like it works good for you as well.

Good luck and happy dreaming

I don’t stay awake for much longer than 5min and I spend it thinking back over any dreams I might have had and jotting down notes about them. It’s good to lie still at first for better dream recall. My cat who sleeps on my bed often wakes me up suddenly with the sound of her claws on the matress :cry:

whispa: Get revenge against yor cat. Stoke it (fairly hard) and then touch it’s nose. Laugh as it gets an electic shock.

:wink:

I have a 4 (going on 5) yr old who is up at the crack of dawn every day, and some times has trouble sleeping. (nightmares) So I understand how presious sleep is.

I try WBTB and I haven’t had much sucess yet. I will keep trying since I wake up 2-5 times a night reguardless.

:lol:

Thanks to all for your replies! I will view the interruptions more as opportunities to practice WBTB than as disturbances from now on! Even before I had kids I used to wake up about twice a night, so I’m used to that, but there’s a big difference in waking up naturally and being woken forcefully at random times :smile: