Big Break for new WILDers like me(Long, but helpful.)

I think i have found out why WILD doesnt work for people sometimes, or why they get it and then screw up (lose concentration.). We all know the general thing, but instead of visualizing just counting and steps or something…MAKE IT SPECIAL, PERSONAL, and SOMEWHAT PASSIVE.
For example: If you’ve been trying the Counting and Walking Up Stairs Visual Technique…change it as listed below for better effect.
SPECIAL: Make the stairs wide, majestic, and maybe golden with wonderful details (obviously special and very dreamlike)
PERSONAL:Walk the stairs or do whatever you count with, with somebody close to you, like a b/f or g/f or somebody you like or love(maybe you should imagine holding hands.)(VERY personal, of course)
SOMEWHAT PASSIVE:Have your personal…person (someone close, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.) say the “1 , you’re dreaming” or the “1,2,3” instead of you counting as well. This way your mind is involved, and also the person may end up saying it different or change what they say, letting you know that you’re on your way to sleep. Also, youre not so involved that as soon as something strange happens you jerk out of bed or wake up due to excitement.

(To add, If you do not count so much and more go with just situation, use a special person, maybe somebody you like in your visualization. It works better if it’s someone that you WANT to have a relationship withbecause you might visualize holding hands, or looking deep in that person’s eyes. This way whether your WILD works or not, if you end up having this someone in your dream, you’ll know you’re dreaming.

…Let me know what you think. In fact, if this works for you, and others, I may make it a new method of wild called WILD:SPSP (special, personal, somewhat passive.)

This sounds interesting :cool:

I’ll try that tonight!

Interesting!
Could be quite a good idea!

This sounds like it has definate possibilities. Good job.

Interesting idea. Keep us up dated on your progress with it.

Happy dreaming

Damn. Good. Damn Good! I like it alot. I will surely try this out tonight.

claping my hands

Thanks for all the “hurrah” 's. I think it has really good possibilities too. BUT–i used it last night and i counted to 100–not asleep yet. Then i began counting and next thing I know—BAM!!! (no LD) I’m awake, and its time to get up for school. 0 dream recall although thats been happening 2 me lately, and worst of all, no LD. I’ll try again tonight, and hopefully the “passive” part wasn’t what sent me off sleeping so easily.

On another note: Does anybody have tips or info on how to stay awake…WILD puts me asleep like never before, but my mind doesnt stay awake either. :help: Hopefully somebody will reply before i sleep (4 hours from now) or that’s another LD’less night.

Bumpityy BUMP BUMP

This really is the tricky part. Your right about being passive is good. The more you actively think the more awake you stay so, you have to balance the two. Sounds like you might be letting go of your thoughts too much. Learning to let go of your thought is key but, remembering to stay focused on one small thing to keep your mind slightly awake is also key. You can do WILD at bed time but, lots of people find it easier if you learn WILD with WBTB first ( I actually did it in the reverse).

I having problems falling asleep during WILD, not staying awake. I will often try WILD for an hour or so, and I still won’t fall asleep, so I give up. I have only fallen asleep using WILD a few times, and once I got my best LD yet. It was strange though, because I had woken up in the morning, and I felt my self immediatly fall asleep again, and somehow I just knew that I was going into I dream, and then I did.

I will have to try this out tonight,Good Idea! :clap:

Yes the WBTB method which is what you did is much easier for a lot of people. I believe that is mostly because you are already very relaxed and you can slip through the hypnogia very quickly.

However, I do not want to dissuade you from trying to WILD at your bed time. It is possible just a little more tricky and takes more practice /patients. You need to get good at using relaxation, meditation, self hypnosis or other trance induction techniques. You also need to understand the concept of “no mind”. You need to learn to use your WILD induction without really thinking about them. A non-dreaming example: in my martial arts class when sparring and say someone throws a punch my hand will automatically move to block it then, I will counter. All this is done with out thinking. The same is true with your WILD technique. If you are using counting then count but, don’t think about it. If you focus on breathing then simply be aware of your breathing but again don’t think about controlling your breathing. Hope this helps explain it better.

Anyway I recommend trying WILD at bed time and WBTB.

When you first go to sleep only allow yourself X amount of time to practice WILD. If you do not feel like you are making any progress then let go and allow yourself to fall asleep. Sometimes this can also have a MILD like effect and you will wake up in your dreams later anyway.

I’ll have to try this. One of the reasons I fall asleep too quick is probably because I don’t visualise enough detail.

I’ve tried the counting tech several times, but after a while I seem to forget what I was supposed to do or at what number I was and I then fall asleep. And I usually fall asleep very fast if I visualize something, no matter what I visualize. I think the passive was could be very good when visualizing something because a few times I’ve reached a strange dream/visualization state where I didn’t know if I was dreaming of visualizing it :eh:

In this state it looks a bit more vivid than normal visualizations but the people and the entire scene isn’t controlled by me anymore, I’m only in controll of myself. And I’ve also found that it might be possible to controll HI to some extent by passively changing it by visualizing something.

And I’ve always made stuff personal because I have trouble visualizing certain things and people for some reason :bored: And if you really want to dream about a certain thing/person you can increase the chance of it happening alot by visualizing it happening. But for some reason you really have to see everything as you do IRL. If you see yourself in the scene it won’t work that well at all for some reason.

To be honest I am not a big fan of the counting technique. I am not saying it does not work as clearly there are many people who successfully use it. It just is not for me. It keeps me too awake. If /when I do use counting I only count till I generate HI. Then, I stop counting and focus on the HI instead. Now the trick in dealing with HI or visualization is not to get to involved with it. Just be aware of what you are seeing without attachment to them.

Some other things to try:

Place yourself into a state of relaxation then create a spinning or falling sensation. The spinning sensation is really good and can put you into a trance quickly. Then you just continue focusing your spinning right into a dream. If any other thoughts inter your mind let go of them and bring your attention back to your spinning.

Again place your self into a state of deep relaxation then just focus on your breathing bringing air in through your nose then out your mouth. Make your breathing a little slower than your normal rate. The stop thinking about your breathing. Be aware of it but don’t think about it. As other thoughts enter your mind let go of them and bring your self back to your breathing.

When I go to sleep I can get into SP after a while if I focus on my breathing and I’ve been trying it in the morning too the last week or so. At first it worked very well but now it doesn’t seem to work at all. I just seem to fall asleep way too fast. I even fall asleep if I count each breath. I guess my mind isn’t that good at focusing when it’s tired :help: Some days it works very well though and some days it doesn’t work at all. Guess I just have to practice.

Yep that is all you can do. It takes some time but, if you have patients you can learn to do it. The trick is in keeping a balance between staying slightly conscious and letting go. Keep practicing and expairament with different techniques until you find something that works for you. I might have mentioned this already but, don’t think about what is going on or what to expect. Thinking is your enemy. Once you attain a deep trance imagine you’re your consciousness slowly slipping away. You want to turn off your awareness of the out side world completely. If you can visualize well try to imagine seeing a simple object like a book or something. Others imagine things like a candle flame but, you can use any object or create your own symbol. If you can’t visualize well just imagine a white dot in the center of your forehead. Even if you cant actually see the dot keep your attention there. Don’t allow any other thoughts to distract you. If a thought inters your mind just let go of it and bring yourself back to the white dot ( or what ever).

Good luck

This sounds like a good idea…