My LD's fade away!

Usually the only times i have LD’s is when i am already begining to wake up in the morning. I think its when my brain first realizes that i am waking up, therefore proving that i must be dreaming. I havent been able to do RC’s in my dreams either, i dont think about it enough.

But my last LD was when i was fighting this kid that i fought along time ago and i realized that i could beat his ass THIS time since i was asleep, so i punched him in the eye, then when he would try to hit me back i would float backwards, kind of like a ‘matrix’ type move. I woke up soon after that, but I won the fight and made him look stupid at the same time. What a wonderful boost of confidence!

From your title, I thought your post would be about your frustration with your quickly fading LDs. Hmm.

It’s always nice when you get to show somebody a thing or two in your dreams. Hope you have more uplifting (PUN!) experiences in the future. :smile:

No, no you sort of understand. That sounds funny. Anyway, i am frustrated because i only become lucid while im waking up. In my LD the dream was fading away more and more every second, but i think it only lasted so long because i was fighting to stay asleep.

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like you need to try WILD or WBTB. Take advantage of those lucid moments to practice dream reentry or by developing your HI.

Good luck.

Hey, I don’t have to go to school anymore, so i WBTB every night after 4 hours of sleep. I get these short LD’s almost every morning when i wake up but i can never get back to sleep because im fully rested already, you know?

That sucks. I can’t relate. I too am out of school but I WBTB every morning, and even though I have gotten more than enough sleep, I am able to fall asleep again. Guess it just depends on your sleep cycle and internal clock. Oh well. I will quit cluttering up your thread and make way for some other responses.

Haha…thanks for helping though. Everyone on this board is so accepting to newbies.

I think most people on the forum don’t think of “newbies” as “newbies.” At one point, we all were new to this forum and to the concept of lucid dreaming. No need to think of yourself as “inferior” because you’re new.

*Last post in here, really!

I also tend to get LD’s as I’m ending my sleep for the night. Often after waking from an LD, I cannot get back to sleep no matter how hard I try.

I use a lot of stabilization techniques to keep my dreams from fading. For instance, I stare at something, or deliberately feel something with my hands. Also, I try to get into a routine where if a dream is really fading out quickly, I prepare myself to use WILD as I wake up.

First, I want to say that I agree with sno_isulli. When you get the chance perhaps on weekends or something try WBTB and see what happens. The more times you get a chance to try lucid dreaming in the night the better.

As for your dreams fading :

You might want to try some prolonging methods to help yourself stay in the dream.

=> rubbing your hands together
=> Spinning
=> flying

Doing any of these things while the dream is fading may help keep you in the dream longer. There are plenty of other techniques but, these are the top 3 for me.

I just found this thread and it seems to describe exactly the problem I’m experiencing for 2 months. Most of the time, I reach dream lucidity very late in the morning, say after 8 or 9 hours of sleep, thus it’s usually when I’m naturally waking up.
I noticed that my lucid dreams weren’t as “solid” as LD’s I used to experience in the middle of the night. They look like transparent and thin, they tend to fade and after a while, I begin to feel my sleeping body (some parts of it are not necessarily in the real sleep position, indeed ! :smile:) I generally use the “rubbing hands” technique to prolonge them, but it works just during a few time, and then the dream keeps fading more and more. Eventually, I have to wake up, cause I’m really awake. :sad:

In such conditions, I can’t get interesting and vivid LD’s. :crying:

About my technique : I can’t WILD. Thus, the technique I’m using currently is DILD with WBTB. I naturally wake up after 6 hours of sleep, then remember my dreams. Sometimes, I read a chapter about LD. Then I go back to bed, don’t have to relax, cause I’m already very relaxed ; and count with some self-suggestion sentence before falling asleep. I don’t use RC in the real life. I don’t keep a ND diary.

As for reaching lucidity, it’s quite strange these nights : I don’t achieve lucidity suddenly. It happens slowly and gradually : some events like flying over deep cliffs, feeling wind, fighting, make me more and more conscious, I begin (unconsciously? :confused: ) to make effort in order to stay in this aware state, until something makes me fully realize I’m dreaming.

This being described, I have some questions :

1. Do you feel that my problem is common ? Is it normal that late morning dreams are thiner, less more “solid” than middle night dreams ?
  2. Do you know if it’s possible to make them more solid ?
  3. If this process is natural and there is nothing to do against it, how could I have my DILD’s earlier in the night ?

I hope you have some answers to these questions ! :cool_laugh:

I have a similar problem, except my I don’t use WBTB because i am a deep sleeper and my alarm doesn’t wake me up, and I never have LDs when I am waking up, I always just have them sometime in the night. (I rarely wake up after my dreams, so I find it impossible to determine when I have them.

But, like you, my LDs fade. Two nights ago, I had my sixth LD. It was probably my most vivid dream ever. But, after a few seconds, everything started to fade and I lost lucidity. This happens to me everytime. Once I tried the spinning method to retain lucidity, but it just woke me up!

I get this all the time, i call it lucid awakening… like “was i just dreaming? wasnt that all wierd… wait I WAS DREAMING OMG LET ME BACK IN” then you wake up… or jump into some morning SP

After your post, I have read the thread about lucid awakening. In a LA, you become lucid because/when the dream fades. In this case, the dream fades when/because you’re lucid. But it’s the same thing indeed ! I’ll explain my opinion.

Few days after posting this question on LD4all forum, I found the answer on a french meditation forum (where there are generally very few posts about LD) ! Thanks to telepathy ! :wink: I translate the quote in English :

It clearly explains the coincidence with dream fading and lucidity/awakening. And the solution was in front of my eyes, everywhere on LD4all, for instance :

And in Castaneda too, whose books I’ve read many times, a similar technique is teached : when the things begins to change shape in a dream and control is being lost, you are advised to pick something else to focus on briefly or focus on your hands. Moreover, focusing on your hands is a technique which is being used by a lot of dreamers here to stabilize their dreams.
I hope I’ll have a good chance to use it soon in my LD’s ! :smile:

Another clue which may confirm that dream fading is related to importing too much waking consciousness in LD : in two recent LD’s, I didn’t remember at all my dream objectives. I just could remember I had dream objectives. :sad:
Thus I began to think intensively :huh: and try to make them come again in my mind. Just when I began to remember them, the dream faded and I woke up. :cry: Did you experience such a problem ?

Did you experience such a problem ?

I think we all experience that problem. :grin:

I meant : lucid dream fading when you think or try to remember something from RL. :shy: That’s what you were talking about ?