Is life and LD connected??

Our senses are only limited due to there physical composition. Our thoughts, dreams, bodies, and everything around us is composed of a chemical makeup. Our sense of smell is merely a chemical response in our brain and the same goes for what humans describe as love. It’s all simply a chemical response. So whether or not we become emerged in debating or discussing our belief in what “is or isn’t real” is almost irrelevant.

We can all agree as does the administrator of this website and researchers around the world, our brain emits electricity. Our body conducts it quite well and is comprised of mostly water (H20… chemicals that promote electrical impulses). The brain of any living thing and even the basic functions of single cellular organisms are built on the foundation of electricity. With that in mind, let me call attention to the ability of dolphins (a mammal) to use one of its ‘senses’ to locate objects hundreds of yards away. Or the ability of a homing pigeon to find its way back to its place of origin. How is this possible? The brain.

We consider both of these animals to be of relative or minimal intelligence. At least we accept our mental superiority over them. So why don’t we have these abilities… or do we? This concept is more or less a subtopic of LD and is almost embedded in the basic LD discussion.

Like previously discussed on this message board, in LD are we the only being with a consciousness? Given the uncertain nature of dreams and how little we actually understand about them… who are we to judge. Consider this…. Falling down, falling of a building and falling over is not a good thing. The word ‘falling’ is basically a negative word or is only used in a derogatory context. However, FALLING asleep is okay. And FALLING in love (chemical response) is okay. Why is this? No offense, we understand so little about sleep and yet we all seem so ready to declare such definitive experiences, which is okay. Let me explain.

Please take this post for what it’s worth. I propose we use only one small piece of our brain. If you sleep beside another person, like I do, you may have an experience something like I had a few months back. Were drifting off to sleep my partner and I carried out a conversation. . . into our dream. I’m not proposing we ‘shared’ a dream exactly. Nevertheless, we awoke having the same dream. The details and the basic frightening/startling reality our brains continued communicating beyond our consciousness leads me to believe the following…

Our brains can communicate with one another without fundamental forms of communication. We may not be aware of it… but it happens. Have you known what someone was going to say before they said it? Remember the saying… “If you’re ears are ringing, someone’s talking about you?” Where did this come from. Quite possibly from people who have experienced what I call a ‘relative brain connectivity.’ Not telepathy… nowhere anything near it. But just like LD, our brains subconsciously continue activity well beyond our knowing. And maybe something near telepathy could be possible… but it’s a tad far fetched. Who knows?

All this said… if the general human experience is merely comprised of many chemical responses (our brains interpretation of sensory input), when our heart discontinues supplying the brain with blood…. the electricity in our brains dissipates, brain function stops and … we drift off into a ‘sleep.’

People who have had near death experiences say it’s as if they fell asleep and had a dream. Moreover, to bring someone back to life… (pardon the expression) doctors electrocute the crap out of you. Electrical impulses surge back through your brain…. and those “near deathers” report they come back to their physical bodies.

I feel the concepts described are an extension or LD or at least is connected in some way.

By the way…. never have I understood or even heard of LD until today… 1/12/02. I now understand I’ve experienced LD in some way shape or form in the past… but didn’t know it. The things described have been floating through my brain for many years. It’s all becoming clear now.

Let me know what you think.

" to cultivate a decisive perception of this or any reality one must question existence in itself…" — Levi

You’ve raised a number of interesting points levi_sum, and as much as I agree with the general idea you’ve put forward, I think it’s worth talking a little more about this ‘relative brain connectivity’ theory of yours.

The brain functions using electricity, in exactly the way you’ve described above. Now, all electronic devices emit radiation, some of which (like radios) have been designed intentionally to do so. In theory, this means that even on a small scale people act almost like little transmitters.

This is pretty much where my imagination takes over, but basically using the same idea, it may be possible that people also have the ability to recieve these signals and generate the related thoughts complying with the incoming interference. We may not be able to consciously detect it, or have any kind of control over what we transmit/recieve, but it almost makes for a reasonable argument that this may all be possible.

Persoanlly though, I don’t believe it. At least, I don’t believe this is responsible for those moments of coincidentally similar topics of thought among a couple of people. If we did transmit radiation at a strong enough level to effectively be intercepted by another person, I believe that all this would cause is random interference. Your thoughts (as a physical compilation of neural nodes and electricity) are unique to you. Over the period of your mental development, your brain has created these patterns of nodes entirely different to everyone else. What you transmit, at best, might only end up as a completely unrelated topic prompting the recipient to wonder why she just thought about Hawaii for no apparent reason.

The more realistic explination for these coincidental moments of common thought would probably be best attributed to prediction, based on previous descussion topics and mentally associated with similar topics by both participants. For example, if two guys are talking about cricket, they may both suddenly remember a funny event that took place years ago while they were watching or playing cricket. One of them may mention this, and the other would generally reply with a surprised “Hey, I was just thinking about that!”

Still, it’s more than possible that evolution will incorporate a form of telepathy into the future developments of man, since such a powerful ability would unboubtedly assist in the survival of those ‘gifted’ individuals. Only time will tell.

As a final note to anyone reading, please don’t just post absolutely all of your whole-hearted objections to any of this. I’m merely adding to this already interesting set of ideas for lack of anything better to do with my time. :wink:

I agree with your statement about thought patterns and its association with moments shared with friends. However isn’t prediction a form of higher thinking? Furthermore this is really only one instance and just a side topic.

Nevertheless, how do you feel about the idea our bodies are driven by electrical impluses and when we die they subside. I know humans hair and nails continue to grow after death and brain function doesn’t stop absolutely… or at least in the conventional sense.

Even creepier and along the imaginary… language plays into some of the things I’ve mentioned. Just like falling asleep is considered to be good and almost all other mentions of falling is not… after death we all hope to “REST in peace.” This strikes at the heart of my primary belief… sleep and life itself are connected. And in my mind sleep/LD holds the key to understanding it … or at least comprehending why we are alive and what happens after death.

Examine terminolgy and phrases associated with death, passing away, sleeping, LD and rest. You may be surprised at what you find.

" to cultivate a decisive perception of this or any reality one must question existence in itself…" — Levi

I agree with Atheist on the point of understanding any kind of mental communication…really, it is a small miracle that we are able to understand each other properly with the normal tools, gesture and language. I’m constantly suprised by how differently our brains work - being a biological construction, I always kind of expected everybody’s to work the same basic way, but I don’t think that’s the case now. One small example - my thought process seems to be carried out with just one ‘voice’ in my head, yet I know others that, when considering a problem, will have two ‘voices’ in their head, each kind of arguing a different side or solution to the problem…I’m not suggesting any mental illness here, I’m talking about everyday normal thought. I’ve always been terrible at making decisions, I take a long time and am always worried about options that I’ve not considered - now I think it is because my thought process is not as ‘efficient’ as others. It does, however, make for a reasonably quite time in my head - I couldn’t stand all that arguing…
Anyway. My point was that minds are individual and hard to decipher. However, certain thoughts may be more understandable - things like base emotions that must be similar for everybody - pure anger, or fear, could probobly be understood if they were recieved by another mind. If there are such things as ‘pure’ emotions unclouded by other thought, that is. Err, I think that’s enough rambling for now.

I agree with you, fool. Heh, sorry, had to say that. :smile:

Everyone’s mind develops differently, but we do all live in the same world. Most of us encounter the same situations in our life, and therefore develop similar reactions to it. The same thoughts may trigger the same responses in a lot of us, but the actual blueprint of the mind is entirely different between us all.

That’s an interesting point about emotions. Sure enough, all people experience the same set of emotions. The reason for this though, is because emotions themselves are driven by chemicals, not electrical impulses. Therefore, I don’t think we would actually transmit them in the same way. We can however see the effect that the chemical is having on a persons face, and in their voice, so we can pretty much pinpoint exactly what they are feeling in most cases.

levi_sum:

I’m under the impression that the word ‘fall’ is used in any situation where someone ‘descends’ into a trance of some kind, or physically moves downwards uncontrollably. Given our fragile bodies, generally falling physically is a bad thing. Falling off a cliff, falling down some stairs, ect. A person can also fall asleep, fall unsconscious or fall in love. Any sudden change in a person can usually be described as ‘falling’. I guess the word represents the quick change of state.

I also believe that other terminology for the word ‘death’ is pretty much only there to make it sound a little easier on the deceased one’s relatives/friends. To tell a child that their father had ‘passed away’ is easier on them than simply saying “Hey, your dad’s dead.” There might also be some religious influence there (ie, ‘passing away’ to heaven).

Not a big fan of religion, I tend to believe that once the electrical activity in your brain ceases, you simply don’t exist any more. You’ll feel about the same as you did 3000 years ago, or any time before you were born. Still, I find your ideas enjoyable to read.

Not a big fan of religion? I’d never have guessed…

In a crowd, when there is a ‘buzz’ in the air…is this solely due to ‘normal’ interactions with those immediately around you, or is there a more subtle sharing of an emotive mental state? You know, that moment when the mass seems to become one, when a crowd seems to take on a life of its own…some of my clearest happy memories are of that feeling. I’m not sure what I believe myself, but I’ve always thought that if there was any kind of spirituality in the world, it was in the space between people, trying to make contact - like life itself has created a binding energy…err, peace, love happiness etc. I shall have to dust off my tie-dyed shirt.

For the most part the responses posted here are identical to those from the majority of those I share this thought process with. “Fool” however has a valued point.

I’ve been at concerts or poetry readings, weddings and even the birth of a child where the air suddenly becomes electrified. I guess some people get it and some people just don’t.

– Levi

“…I’ve been at concerts or poetry readings, weddings and even the birth of a child where the air suddenly becomes electrified. I guess some people get it and some people just don’t.”

You forgot about sexuall activity:)

Whoa this stuff is crazy - I gotta make some time to read this :happy:

sexual activity is definately another time when our brains seem to communicate without us knowing…