GREAT Technique for coming to conciousness

ok, i posted this as a reply to someone else, but after going through several of the posts many people have the same kind of questions. Here are 2 techniques that you can use that have helped me and several people i know. Since you don’t always have wierd dreams for you to realize “hey this can’t happen in real life” to realize your dreaming, here are 2 techniques you can use in MOST dreams.

CLOCKS: In your dream, when you see a clock, look back at the clock and the time will be completely different. When you are trying to get to sleep just keep running through your head “look at the clock again”

LIGHTS: In your dream when you come into a room, if the lights are on, try to turn them off, if they are off try to turn them on…they won’t change they will stay how they were when you entered the room. Before you go to sleep just keep running through your head “if the lights are on turn them off, if they are off turn them”

These are very good signs that are common in most dreams, and when you realize in your dream (still not conciouss yet) to look back at the clock or turn off the light, as soon as you do it, you will realize hey i’m dreaming.

now with that said here is some help on getting you closer to lucidity.

When your laying down getting ready to sleep, just remember your most recent dreams (like dreams from the past 2 or 3 days), just think about them, try to keep thinking about them until you fall asleep. If you notice things that you weren’t able to do in dreams before think about those things. Also think about the signs i posted above, and other techniques available on this site (don’t flood your mind with stuff, just choose a couple techniques and a couple dreams and use those to think about every night before sleep). When you do this often enough they will penetrate your subcontious mind, and in your dream they will pop up, maybe not right away but they will eventually.

You can’t force yourself to lucid dream, just because you think about these things when you fall asleep does not mean they will happen that night. You just have to keep doing it everytime you sleep and eventually it will happen. Don’t stress, your probably doing things right, and wondering why its not working. But like i said, you can’t force yourself to become lucid, its something that will just happen. Don’t give up, the more you try the closer you get.

Sorry, but I knew most of that stuff already. Well, the first half, anyway. That one idea about thinking about recent dreams sounds quite a good idea though, and I think I’ll try it.

I always read my dream journal before going to bed. It helps me realx, and have a better nights sleep, also I usually find symbols in my dreams right before I fall asleep!
I hope I have a lucid dream soon! :content: I can’t wait
heehee!

In my dreams both clocks and Lights function properly. Clocks will keep accurate time and lights work as they would in real life. (with the exception of nightmares) So in my case they don’t work.

But the dream thing, will have to go that a go.

That’s very interesting, as I’ve read that difficulties with lights are almost universal in dreams, and that even practiced LDers who can control a lot of elements in their dreams have difficulties with light switches.

Regarding clocks, Laberge emphasizes that it is digital clocks, not analog clocks, that behave strangely in dreams. In contrast to that, I have read (either in this forum or another one) that analog clocks may very well be stable dreams (ie tell the same time when you look away and look back), they nonetheless behave strangely if you observe them closely, like watch the second hand move.

While we’re on the subject, I thought I’d mention script. It never reads the same twice (for me) and sometimes it morphs into a kind of arcane writing I can’t decipher. My main LD trigger though (lately) is the sky, it’s always more vivid and colorful!