waking up at night?

In his book EWLD, Stephen Laberge claims that most people wake up 10-15 times during their sleep, and that they forget it afterwards. 10-15 times… ?

The other night, I tried to check wether this is true. I left a piece of paper near my bed and convinced myself I would make one tick on it every time I awoke. The next morning, there was one single tick on it.

Am I the only one here who does NOT wake up a billion times during the night? Have anyone experienced what Laberge is talking about?

I don’t recall waking up 10-15 times during the night… When I do wake up, I remember it. However, it might just be one of those things that you really do forget.

/ds

I don’t think it’s quite a billion times, in fact, 10-15 is still kinda high. But yes, people do wake up at the end of each sleep cycle. However, it may only be for half a second until they’ve fallen asleep again. It’s often very difficult to wake up early when you want to, I can imagine how hard it would be to fully wake up after each sleep cycle throughout the night.

I suppose with a good portion willpower, one could wake up after each cycle. I suppose this is what people do when waking up at night by intention. It’s not as much the subconscious as the pure will to not falling back to sleep after awakening. Did that make sense?

Also, I’ve noticed it’s impossible to draw the line between dreaming and waking, since dreams are kinda the same as daydreams, just more vivid etc. Sometimes in my dreams, I just suddenly notice that I’m awake and that I’ve been for quite some time without really being aware of it…

i don’t believe people wake up that often, as i can constantly feel my body during sleep (yet strangely can’t use it to become lucid) i would feel i would know if i wake up.

That happens to me too. Like my dream will just kind of run right into my thoughts and keep going and I’ll still have myself convinced that the dream is continuing. The oposite happens too, I start dreaming while I’m thinking of something and it continues except as a dream. Something I’ve noticed when I become lucid is that it’s like my mind has given up on holding the illusion so I just realize that I’m dreaming.

I have woken up about 14 times a few nights. I went to sleep and told my self I would remember every dream throughout the night and ended up remebering about 15 dreams. The continuing dreams might seem as if they are continued because you become completely unconscious in the middle that you might not even pick up on the blackness/void and continue somewhere similar in the next dream.