Can you make youself wake up from a LD?

Hey everybody, I have been very interested in LDs for a bit now, and this site is very informative. However, I have not been able to find an answer to my question. I have heard of other people wanting to wake up from their dreams but not being able to, now, thats kind of scary. What can you do during your LD to automatically wake up? Because, if I ever get an LD, I dont want to be trapped there forever. :eek:

Thanks

One technique i have heard of is to go to sleep in your Lucid Dream and you should wake up.

I doubt you’d ever be stuck in an LD for a very long time… but i thought that would be a good thing :content: ? You would eventually drift off into a normal dream and then wake up as normal.

It seems that anything you really want to do in a dream can be done. Some things to greater levels than others. So I wouldn’t worry about not being able to wake up, because chances are you would just get freaked out and wake up anyway :content:

I bliv nobody who attempt LD will want to wake from it. Personally my few LD experiences couldn’t last more than 10 seconds… Maybe im too excited until my brainwaves reached the awake level… So dont worry, i doubt u would last more than 5 secs on ur first xp… Happy LDing…

I think I can vouch for most people on this site that staying in a lucid dream too long is hardly a bad thing.

… Unless your talking about trying to wake from sleep paralysis. I know someone that regurlarly gets sleep paralysis and she describes it as an intensely terrifying experience. She lives alone and when paralysed hallucinates about an intruder coming in through the window and she can’t move.

I have tried to lay down and go to sleep in a lucid dream. I did not wake up, instead it seemed to increase the vividness/wierdness of the dream imensely - likely you’ve reached another level of dreaming or something. Try it next time you have a lucid dream - it’s quite an experience.

This is something I’ve been wondering:
Is it possible to lucid dream during deep sleep? If it is only possible to lucid dream in REM sleep, which doesn’t last so long, you would lose your lucidity as soong as you fall into deep sleep.

On a side note, in the film Waking Life, the character of the film is stuck in a very lengthy lucid dream. After being unable to escape from the dream, he starts to wonder whether or not he is dead. Hope that doesn’t freak you out too much.

From what I know (not from experience) it is possible to stay lucid during deep sleep but you don’t have dreams there like in REM-sleep, it’s completely different. There are 2 ways of getting there:

1. go to Tibetan monastery and train yourself in dream yoga for 40 years
  2. practice self-hypnosis in lucid dreams
    The second way is the fastest one, because LD’s are really made for self-hypnosis.

Waking Life or not, you will never be “trapped forever” in an LD.
But if you really want to wake up from a dream, well then you have to withdraw your attention from the dream, think about other things like your body sleeping in physical world. You can also try to stop the “rapid eye movements” of REM-sleep by focusing very hard on a non-moving object. These methods should work but it is still possible that you just trigger a false awakening like the guy in Waking Life :devil:

Dying can also get you out of an LD. I don’t like dying for that reason. Also you could let your emotions get overworked, like when someone is really excited that it is their first D they are too excited and they wake up.

Also the other things suggested by the previous posts are also good.

You say you’ve heard of people not being able to wake up in their dreams, were these nightmares and non-lucid? The reason i ask this is because if it was a LD then they definately would not be scared and would not want to wake up.

Hi
If you really ever come to a point in a LD where you want to wake up,i personally wouldn´t try techniques such as walking out of the dream through a door,going to sleep,dying etc

These techniques are good,and often work,but they are quite likely to lead to FAs (a scary thing if you want to wake up).So i think i´d stick to methods like focusing or other things that you make do with your eyes (as a child i developed an own method for this,but it´s a bit hard to explain and i assume it wouldn´t work for everybody)

Traumgänger

As a child, I learned to wake up from nightmares by stretching my eyes open as wide as they’ll go. :eek: It even worked the other night when I drove my brother’s pick-up off a cliff…

Didn’t we have this discussion before? Something about eyes popping out and rolling across the floor? :rofl: Hrrmm… Anyway, don’t let your eyes pop out if you try it.

I waked myself up from my first LD, I’ve done that thing couple times after that.
When I’m lucid for very long time, I just want to wake myself up so I could remember the whole dream. This is somekind of habit for me, I just want to remember…
When we get the dream-recorder? :smile:

Thanks for your help guys.

I am just soooo interested in LDing. It is a thing I have been thinking was possible since I was 5, but everyone I know says that it is impossible :sad:
Now that I know that it IS possible, everything I have been wishing was true can be true!! THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!! :cool_laugh: \

I have been trying so hard that its hard to sleep at night, and im also keeping a dream journal, and I have remembered 3 dreams the last 2 nights!

Thanks again. :smile:

Just another question. From what Ive heard, while you are aware in your dream, you can make anything you want appear and dissapear. Say I have a LD, and I decide to make a Jack in the Box taco appear, (Im addicted to them :content: ) will it appear just because I said so? Also, if I try to eat it, can I taste it?

Thanks again
Do you like my sig?

How well you can control your dreams depends on how much dream control you have. And after what I have heard, your dream control becomes better by practising. And what do you do in LDs, then :smile:
Hint: Trying to control your dreams practises your dream control

And about the signature, I like it :grin:

“Because, if I ever get an LD, I dont want to be trapped there forever.”
Hehe its soooooo opposite than my attitude:)

Personally i think you have nothing to worry about.Even if you lucky enough to get to the point of such stabilized ld(which is unlikely for first year:)this is only reason to be happy.Then if you even more lucky and start having too many too long ones(which is beyond my understanding how this could be bad) your brain will propably stop them as it started them cuz you wanted so.Know what i mean?

And then-lets say you so extremely lucky you cant carry this burden anymore-have sex in your lds.Seriously-this act is such emotionall,wakes so many connections and stuff that you will propably wake up before you finish your foreplay:)

good luck:)

Whats Jack in the box by the way???

If you want to create things you much better off finding somedoor or a box and expect it to be there.Or hail a taxi and ask driver to get you there.Its much easier than creating from the air.

good luck

lol, I thought later that using a jack in the box reference might not go over so well, since alot of people are from other places and dont know what one is. Ok, Jack-in-the-box is a fast food restaurant in the US, im not sure in how many places in the US, but they are pretty easy to find here in Phoenix, AZ. They have GREAT tacos by the way :grin:

But, I guess the reason I wonder about getting out of the dream, is that seems to be a phobia of mine. I can NOT stand it if I am in a place or area that I will not be able to get out of on my own, if I need to. If a friend of mine tires to lock my in a closet or somthing like that, I will punch him in the face before he gets me in there. It might be because I have Asthma and I might need my medication or somthing. So I seem to have a phobia of not being able to get out of places, like a dream, which seems a little wierd.

:confused:tupid:

Later,
Michael

I just posted a topic about this in the dream diary section because of one time when I had a lucid nightmare when I was young and I couldn’t wake up. But all that i had to do eventually was just open my eyes, the trick is being able to move your real, physical body while in a dream.

Yes! And that’s why it’s good to work with your eyes (stopping REM by gazing) because this is the only part of your body that is not paralysed during REM-sleep.

Hi
Another thing to add:

I don´t think it can come so worse easily,but even if it does:

You are stuck in a lucid nightmare,and no technique works probably.This is enough to panic for most,and since you have a phobia you will get frightened and it won´t be very nice.
BUT if you get very excited in a dream you always wake up.This is why (as Jack said) most people don´t succes in having sex in their lucid dreams.And this is why many people wake up exactly the moment they fall of a tower,or the moment they are finally catched by the big bad monster.So,if you really get the feeling of being trapped,than you will be thrilled enough to wake up very fast.
Again,i don´t think this will happen,just wanted to say that it can´t be for long anyway.More likely after your first LDs you´ll wish to be stuck at least for 10 minutes :wink:

Traumgänger