Question about going from staying lucid

I should preface this by saying i was big into LDing for a period, reading stuff on it, keeping dream journal etc. I sort of got out of it, but last night my friend and i were talking about lucid dreaming. I had only had 2 prior LDs, neither of which lasted longer than about 3 seconds or so. But last night i had my longest yet. At the point i became lucid, i started looking around, and thinking about what i had just been dreaming about. I then said to myself “ok, don’t want to wake up” so i was trying to remember tips on staying lucid. I remebered the hands thing, so i started staring at my hands. After staring at them for awhile, i suddenly thought to myself “if the lines on my hands DO move, i’m lucid, if they don’t, then i’m awake”. I don’t remember waking up immediately after this, i think i just went back into a dream. So i guess my question is. Is it possible to be lucid, and then go BACK into dreaming? Also, i am 100% certain that i was lucid, just in case you’re thinking of doubting whether or not i was lucid.

Yes Of course.

Can’t remember if I posted this on this forum before or another forum, but the following excerpt is from the below-linked report and I think explains what’s going on:

We also showed that the tendency of nonlucid dreams to form transient global contexts is present during lucid dreams. Characters and situations encountered unintentionally in lucid dreams can serve as factors around which may nucleate a nonlucid dream context. These factors can compete with the lucid dream context for access to the dreamer’s intentions. If the lucid dreamer does not make a conscious effort to maintain the lucid dream context, it is possible for these distractions to absorb the attention of the lucid dreamer and draw the dreamer into a situation that unfolds independent of the dreamer’s volition. At the extreme, a newly generated dream context can displace the lucid dream context resulting in a loss of lucidity and the transformation of the lucid dream into a nonlucid dream. In practice, however, subtler forms of competition will allow the lucid dream context to co-exist with competing dream elements that are not contained in the lucid dream context, resulting in modifications of the cognition of the lucid dreamer which affect memory access, thinking and behavior. In such situations, the dreamer appears to phase in and out of lucidity to various degrees. Thus, because of competitive processes, the degree of lucidity can itself vary within a single lucid dream.

lucidity.com/VOLDE.html

for staying Lucid any technique, as long as you believe in it should work. I look at lights in the sky when I start to fade in a LD, in WL at work I look at the lights on the ceiling to go to sleep.

Strange how that works.

I don’t know, but someone on this forum said that you wake up after every dream (REM stage), but usually you go back to sleep after few seconds and you don’t remember that.

It’s perfectly possible to just forget you were dreaming. Sad but true.