Lucidity hard-freezes my brain!!!

Hello.

I’ve been practicing lucid dreaming for perhaps a year now. I’ve gotten lucid several times (say about 10) during this period.

But now to the problem. 8 out of 10 of these dreams have taken place in my home. All of them have been triggered by looking at my hands.

Now to the problem. Every time I see my hands fluttering, I think “cool. I’m dreaming. Now I’ll just remain calm and explore the dreamworld”.

The problem is that I cannot do that. In the dream, it feels as if I’m strapped by invisible ropes. Sometimes, I can move a little, say, half a metre, but during this movement I feel extremely groggy and everything looks distorted.

But if I just remain calm and look around, my home will look almost exactly as it does in real life. Last time the oscilloscope on my desktop had a color TFT screen, which it doesn’t have for real, though, but I surely wish it had :smile:

After a few minutes of looking around in the dream I simply get bored. I close my eyelids and shake my head around, which triggers an awakening.

Any ideas on how I can trick my mind to flow just like when in a non-lucid dream? I can have very vivid, real and enjoyable non-LD’s. But so far, the LD’s suck.

Thank you
//Grape

I don’t know if this’ll work; after all, everyone’s different. But it works for me:

Just ask. Nicely.

this used to be a problem for me. Nowadays whenever I get that paralyzation feeling, I just remain calm and “believe” can move through the stuff. I go slowly and feel no resistance at all. You just have to have confidence in moving.

well i’m not very experienced but i think that what happens in any dream is based mostly on ur subconsious or consious expectations. if in the past you have not been able to move in a ld than u will expect not to be able to move when you have your next ld therefore not being able to move will be the result. next time u have a ld just tell urself that there is no reason why u shouldn’t be able to move as everything is in ur head and you control every single aspect of what you are experiencing. this will free you up (but only if you believe it will).

I actually experience the exact opposite. I go lucid, but my dream moves on and drags me along and I really have to focus on improving lucidity and staying stable and not moving. Causes me to lose lucidity too fast.

Maybe I’m too absorbed in my dream world; and maybe, on the opposite side, you’re too tied to your physical self when you become lucid. It’s only a wild guess; but maybe you somehow sense your physical body in sleep paralysis and feel as if you can’t move. It’s a sensation people often have when they find themselves in a nightmare, get scared, start waking up and feel paralyzed, which frightens them even more and adds to the nightmare. It’s possible that upon becoming lucid your consciousness boosts even closer to waking, and you can sense your physical body in some way - thus feeling like you’re strapped down, and possibly also affecting your dream vision.

And the way to counter it… I don’t know. You’d need more control over lucidity and non-lucidity; so that you can experience an LD whilst going with the flow of the dream. Learning relaxation techniques might also work… or like DevilsAdvocate suggested, move by the sheer power of will. Your mind shapes your dreams. Believe, and by force of will, move. Maybe just try moving a small part of your body. Or, another suggestion; try floating. When you go lucid just picture yourself drifting off the ground. You don’t need to move any limbs… just float up and out the window, and maybe gain control whilst floating, go with fluid and natural movements.

It’s all just a hypothesis of course. :slight_smile: Good luck.

Try yelling out commands. In my first Lucid dream, it seemed like I was partially blind but I yelled out “Increase Lcidity Now!!” And by god, it worked. My voice was real raspy though…

Here’s a little trick that might help

If you have trouble walking through walls in your LD, during waking life walk into the wall as if it’s not there, after smashing yourself a few times. You will think how absurd this is. In your LD when you try to walk through the wall you’ll remember how absurd the event is allowing you to realize “it’s all in your head”. It works because

-you remember it because you associate walking through the wall
-it increases your awareness about your LD surroundings and you desire to walk through

i don’t recommend the “running into the wall technique”