new member / my experience with lucidity

Hi everyone!

I’m a new member, and I’ve been reading the message boards here for a few days. I am very happy to have found this forum!

I’ve been interested in lucid dreaming for a few years, and I’ve tried to have them on and off since I first read about them. Finding this site has renewed my enthusiasm!

The closest experience I had to a lucid dream was a dream where I knew I was dreaming, but my consciousness was still very foggy. I didn’t think to do a RC or to stabilize the dream at all. In this dream, I was in a truck with some terrorists and was riding through the desert, I tried to fly, but I had trouble breaking through the canvas top of the truck!

I’ve tried some techniques. I never had any success with MILD. I just find the technique to not be very comfortable for me to do. I also never really was able to realize that I was dreaming while I was dreaming, because the events of the dream always seemed to make sense to me, which I think is because I am very imaginative and very fantasy-oriented. Nothing in my dreams ever strikes me as being strange!

I have had some progress recently, though. I’ve been paying attention as I fall asleep, and trying to fall asleep consciously as per the WILD technique. Since I have been trying this, my awareness of HI has really improved! I’ve had a couple of experiences where it feels like I can switch between hypnagogic and normal vision, if that makes any sense… it’s like switching between normal vision, and then shifting my eyes/vision/awareness upward to see the HI. However, I am at the point where I can see HI as I fall asleep.

Also, I am very excited because I read about Pedro’s VILD technique yesterday, as well as reading his dream journal. Wow! His posts, as well as some other people’s posts, have really helped to increase my enthusiasm! I tried the VILD technique last night, but my tired/hungry/thirtsy/pee circumstances were all wrong! I hope to read a bit and get into the right state of mind tonight! However, doing this technique, although not giving me a lucid dream yet, did help me to stay aware far longer when falling asleep then ever before! I saw hypnagogic imagery very clearly, and when I decided to just fall asleep regularly, I actually had to really try to get to sleep. It was like I crossed some sort of threshold.

Anyways, I will try a bit harder tonight! The posts that I have read here have been very encouraging. I look forward to many future communications and lucid dreams!

One last piece of information… my girlfriend came up with the idea to make a sign to remind me to attempt to induce lucid dreams. This has been a really helpful idea. Normally, when I awaken in the middle of the night, I stumble into the bathroom, go pee, and stumble back to bed. I now have a sign that reads “DREAMING” that I posted at eye level on the wall above the toilet! I see it every time I get up in the night, and it also reminds me to do reality checks when I see it. I wanted to share this idea incase it might be of help to someone else!

Anyways, thanks for reading, if you got this far! I wanted to share all of my experiences so far and say “HI!” to everyone! See ya!

my first post here…
i havta thank pedro for introducing me to the wonderfull world of lucid dreaming…tho i have had a few LD’s but nothing majorly amazing and all completely by accident i have found the whole topic really interesting and wanna learn more.
practise makes perfect im sure, as with all things so im looking forward to my first induced lucid dream.
i’d love to be able to do some of the things pedro has told me about. so away to bed with me…

Well since i’m new to the forum too i thought i might as well tag on to this thread. :smile:

I’ve known about lucid dreaming for about a year now, since i accidentally stumbled upon Lars’ Lucid Dreaming FAQ on Usenet. I had quite a few lucid dreams over that time, but then stopped for a month or two whilst i had some exams, and am only just starting to get back into the groove of it all these last few weeks.

Still this forum is a great source of information, and hopefully i can get past the stage i’m out now. I have quite a few lucid dreams when i put some effort into focusing my intent and writing in my DJ, its just they tend to be quite short (a few minutes or so) and i don’t have much control over what i can do. Anyway i think i’m rambling on a bit, but just wanted to say Hi. :ok:

Hi lenore and ugh!

It’s great to see other new forum members and to see other people enthused about dreaming! Thanks for saying hi!

Hey im new here too! (well not really just new to posting), heh yeah this forum is pretty cool so full of info and stuff! When i first got into lucid dreaming i never thought about techniques or anything just about lucid dreaming, whod have thought thered be so many possible ways to go about having a lucid dream! Anyways ive had some degree of success with reality checks and a couple WILDs, took me awhile though. :shy:

Heh to share one funny RC experience in real life i put this paper that says ‘Are You Dreaming?’ on my binderin that little transparent sleeve so that i see it all the time at school. Well in this one dream i was in Math class, and i had taken out my binder and glanced at the cover, opened the binder on my desk as usual. Things started to get weird, and dark and stuff, and i was kind of beginning to freak out thinking ‘what the…am i tripping or something? how i didnt take anything! oh man…’ as things got worse and worse around me. I in a desperate attempt to regain composure started shuffling through all the papers in my binder, trying to act normal. I remember looking at this drawing ive never drawn (which i plan to) and it seeming so real, and then when i put it down everything was black. There was a light or something, someone at the end (like some sort of tunnel experience) and then i reached for the person who was doing likewise…bam i realize im dreaming and then wake up in darkness. You know that feeling you get when you are in complete darkness in a dream and then you just suddenly know youve waken up? i hate it when i get that ehehehe.