pistachio nuts

Hey people!

I posted something about this in the ‘plants&substances list’, but no reply yet; although I really would like to know more about it.

The point is, that I was reading in fenodoree’s LD journal, where he mentioned having had more LD’s after eating pistachio nuts. I went to search a bit on the net, and found that these nuts do contain amounts of tryptophan (0,283 g per 100g of nuts). I really have the idea that this could maybe help us; can anyone tell more about what tryptophan (5-HTP, a serotonin (5-HT) precursor) does with our sleep? A hypothesis: ingesting tryptophan before sleep, raises your serotonin levels, which can give you a less deep and more conscious REM sleep.

To prove that 283 mg per 100g is not too little to mention: a normal dose of tryptophan, used for a better night’s rest (you can buy it in pills too) is 100 to 600 mg.

Who can say more about this, and has anyone had similar effects with pistachio nuts?

JJJ

Well i dont know what i does but i bought 2 sack of it and i am going to try it out tnight

Ill go for it too:)
Btw…white meat,especially chicken and turkey contains same chemical.You may have it spicy to give your stomach something to work on too.

Just found this when searching for trytophan on the web:

SNOOZE FOODS
These are foods high in the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan:

Dairy products: cottage cheese, cheese, milk
Soy products: soy milk, tofu, soybean nuts
Seafood
Meats
Poultry
Whole grains
Beans
Rice
Hummus
Lentils
Hazelnuts, Peanuts
Eggs
Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds

BEST BEDTIME SNACKS
Foods that are high in carbohydrates and calcium, and medium-to-low in protein also make ideal sleep-inducing bedtime snacks. Some examples:

apple pie and ice cream (my favorite)
whole-grain cereal with milk
hazelnuts and tofu
oatmeal and raisin cookies, and a glass of milk
peanut butter sandwich, ground sesame seeds (It takes around one hour for the tryptophan in the foods to reach the brain, so don’t wait until right before bedtime to have your snack.)

Sounds worth a try with some of these.

After the initial experiences of lucid dreams after eating pistachios, I conducted a small experiment with them in my DD. I thought this might be worth mentioning, even though it was met with no positive results. This was over a period of three nights.

The first night I ate 30 at 8:45, and went to sleep at 1:00
No lucidity.

The second night I ate 50 at 9:00, went to sleep at 12:00
No lucidity, but very vivid dreams and very good recall.

The third night I ate 50 at 10:15, went to sleep at 12:15
No lucidity, but very deep sleep with excellent recall of very vivid dreams.

Conclusion? When I upped the dosage I really think the pistachios affected my dreams. I think I just didn’t eat enough. The nights when I had the lucid dreams after eating the nuts I was snacking on them for awhile, could have eaten 100 without realizing it. The reason I was so careful is because one night I ate probably close to 40 a few minutes before I went to bed, and it took me a long time to get to sleep, seemed like the pistachios were keeping my eyes open and my heart racing. I think these things could have possibilities…

By the way, jjj, thanks for looking into the chemical makeup of pistachios, if it wasn’t for your research I’m sure I would have just abandonded the possibility altogether :wink: If they work wonders for lucid dreaming you definitely get the credit.

Hmm… can’t try this one, I’m allergic to nuts, but it sounds like a good idea!

Last night i ate a whole bag :smile:
I went to bed around 00:00 and got up at 5:30
I had gotten a nightmare, i never can remember me ever gotten a nightmare before. It was realy “real” :tongue: . I wasn’t lucid tough.

But i think i will leave the pistachios in the bag

I am going to note my dream down now, so who is intrested can read it in my journal

damn repost :neutral:
Thos loading took abit to long so pressed twice :smile:

I ate some (150g, shells included I think, I mean not in the eating but in the 150g :roll: ) yesterday night. Immediately after, I went to sleep. I noticed that I fell asleep much faster than normal in the past weeks, after having had some strange WILD-vibration-like feelings, which I never have normally.

The dreams were very vivid, also because of the mint tea I had been drinking. The main difference from normal dreams was, that there seemed to be much more ‘thinking’ involved; I can remember some times where I was discussing my point of view on several things with myself, and thinking ‘hey, what you just said, IS that right? isn’t it something else?’ and things like that. Normally, my ‘thought life’ is not that vivid when I am dreaming.

No LD’s however, and I can’t really rule out the placebo possibility either.

JJJ

Hummus…

i skimmed through the list and read that as “humans”
i got to the bottom of the list and went wait a min… HUMANS!!! WTF?

ya… that kind of stuff scares me

Hahaha, I did the exact same thing.

[color=indigo]Now I’ve go an excuse to annoy my family. Noone else likes pistachios but they’re my fave nuts. Feel sorry for everybody who’s allergic to nuts. At least you’ll be healthier Charlotte Dreamer! Nuts are bad for you.

Anyway, cool, I’d go buy some now, but it’s 2:52am and I don’t think there’s a 24 hr shop anywhere near here!

Dammit, gotta wait till tomorrow. But rest assured my 10 pounds is ALL going on pistachios. I’ll see what eating 1,000,000,000+ does to you! :eek: :clown: :panic: :cookiemon: [/color]

Eating some now. I have three bags layed out. I feel sick now, and not even finished the first bag. REEEEEALLY feel sick. I may give the three bag idea up lol

nah…nothing. Oh well. I’ll try it again tonight

you’re gonna eat three bags of pistachios! :eek:
I know there good but 3 bags! :wink:

Just to clarify: tryptophan and 5-HTP are NOT the same thing. trytophan gets converted to 5-HTP before it becomes serotonin.

The path is like this:
Tryptophan --> 5-HTP --> serotonin --> melatonin

5-htp gets converted to serotonin much easier than tryptophan, because it is one step closer. I bought some online at discountsupplements.co.uk/ £29.99 for 300x50mg capsules. I use it to help keep my moods more stable, but you could use with regards to sleep too. In fact, I wonder what would happen if you woke up after 5 hours of sleep and then took some 5-HTP before attempting WILD or MILD?

Edit: serotonin is what controls mood, but when it is dark the body converts it to melatonin which is what helps you sleep. I’m not certain as to how it exactly effects REM sleep though, but one thing I did notice, is that when I first started taking 5-HTP, I was taking one right before bed, and I’m sure my dreams were more vivid as a result. I’ve been taking them at breakfast and dinner time lately, but maybe I shoudl start taking one before bed again?

Edit 2: I now remember that I read somewhere that melatonin promotes deep sleep, so this would stand to reason that in taking it before bed means that I would get deeper sleep early on in the night, followed by more REM sleep later on as reaction to it? So this would mean that taking it when waking up to try WILD/MILD wouldn’t be a good idea because it might stop you dreaming by making you dream more deeply. I would recommend you trying to get hold of some 5-HTP capsules and taking one before you go to bed at night, see what happens. Apparantly it’s quite safe, since it is a nutrient not a drug, and your body does the rest nuturally. Just don’t take too much.

Here’s a good informative website about 5-HTP useage, safety and dosage: wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/s … 47,00.html[/url]