Color of lighting?

I’m not a hardcore lucid dreamer like the most of you are, but I’ve had a couple lucid dreams of my own before. I was just wondering, if it’s impossible to control the intensity of light in dreams… is it possible to at least change the color of the lighting? Lighting of any color in the spectrum… or maybe even a blacklight type of lighting…? I havent had enough lucid dreams to try this experiment for myself but for those of you who do lucid dream often, could you guys try this experiment and tell me the results?

Why do you think it’s impossible to vary the intensity of light in a dream?

why do you think anything is impossible in a lucid dream?

Isn’t it that the only thing you don’t have control over in dreams is the intensity of light? I read this in Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming and heard from some people who tried.

the way i see it nothing is impossible. I’ve never tried to alter the lighting level in a dream but i would assume if you really believe it you can do it.

The only things you can’t do in dreams are logically self-contradictory (i.e. draw a four-sided triangle).

I think the inability to use lightswitches (don’t confuse this with more gradual/natural light changes) is partly to do with expectation.

they work fine for me.

As I said, to do with expectation.

There are a lot of common dreamsigns that the majority of lucid dreamers will be familiar with, even if it doesn’t always apply to them. For example, often large bodies of text will be unstable, and change each time they’re read over. Also, light switches may not appear to change the light levels in the room. I’m pretty sure most of us can relate to these particular phenomanon.

However, that’s not to say they occur to absolutely everyone, or that you can’t overcome them. With practise, you can certainly manipulate elaborate lighting effects, or read pages of consistent text over and over. Half the fun of lucid dreaming is bettering your control over the dreamworld. You can do anything in the dream as soon as you realize that you can. :smile:

Exactly!

You sure this is not just because the person read it would be impossible, before actually attempting it him/herself?
When you read things like that, it will stick to your subconcious and in many cases influence your subconscious expectations… If people said flying was impossible, then i am sure the person would be influenced by that aswell.

Good point Tomas. I think that’s certainly the case in a lot of situations. At the same time though, these particular dreaming difficulties probably arose from a more general case. I think most people actually do find it diccifult for their mind to simulate the effects of a light switch, or working clock, because their minds aren’t usually prepared to do so. I came to suspect this because I encountered a lot of these problems long before reading of their commonality.

Just a thought. :smile:

You can change night and day cant you? The environment around you at night is drasticaly different than it is at day. Maybe you should look into what exactly lighting is, and how people do it by technology.

Try to think of it this way before going to bed, just imagine the cup being the objects in you atmospehere from light to dark in different lighting conditions.

I hope you don’t mind, I’ve changed these pictures to be links rather than imbedded images. This way it won’t stretch the forum so much (making it hard to read), and also to be a little kinder to those with slower connections (the pictures total about a MB). Thanks.

3D Cup without lighting
3D Cup with lighting

And here is basically what happens during the transformation…

Lighting effect without the cup

Hope that helps ya…

thanks, i understand what you mean. but i think i should rephrase the question. i know that if you have the “will” to do something and you expect it to happen, it happens. what i was referring to was the whole light switch problem. if the light cant be turn off when its on (or vice versa), isnt that the same as changing its intensity (ranging from full lighting to off)? and if changing its intensity is possible (if you completely expect it to happen), why is it that the results of the official researches say that lightswitches dont work?

The logic of your mind is not working as normal in dreams (otherwise, we would all be LDing all the time!) and lightswitches are pretty logical.

Personally, I found that instead of one lightswitch, there were four, and I flipped one and there was a wierd lighting, can’t describe it but it is possible in real life, after a noticable delay of a few seconds.

I don’t expect them to work or not work, i don’t think about it at all. Particularly in NDs.

It wasn’t till I came here that i heard about the lightswitch thing lol.

It is your subcouncios expectations… these are all the rules in LDs.

As I’ve practiced more i’ve noticed that most dreamsigns no longer work for me. When I fleip light switches they work. When I look at clocks they also work. I’m not sure why it is, but its happening. However I can still notice subtle things. Like when the clock says 4 am and the sun is setting. This is a definite DS.

I do believe that you can alter the lighting. It has to happen in your subconcious though. You have to maybe feel like the light will turn on when you flip the switch. One way to test this is to create yoru own light switch in an LD that is a black light light switch. Flip it and see if it turns the room into a black light. Usually it is easier to trick your subcouncious into a result than to simply will it.

I tried reading the entire thread, but those images have completely screwed up the page, so I gave up na little way in. So scream at me if thisa has been suggested alread, but…

Has anyone tried creating a whole new colour? Not a shade, or a mix, but a whole new colour? Lets see your brain come up wid that :cool:.

I don’t think that would be possible even in dreams since our brain was already equipped to see only the colors of the spectrum. You may see a lot of color combinations or patterns but I doubt you could come up with a color the brain isn’t capable of seeing…

Dont mind at all, didnt realize they were that big until I put it on there. Accidently had em at 1000x1000 I guess.